Gel Coat Color 'matching' any suggestions on how best to do it?

shorefun

Starting repairs on my various sunfish.

I have my son's 88 structurally repaired in the bow. I have mixed up the white gel coat and thickened it and got my first leveling coat in place.
It is very white. The surrounding gel coat is a bit off white, maybe a yellowish?

I will also be doing my 2006 shortly.

Any suggestions for what tint I should get to pull away from the bright white to something closer to what is on each hull?

Do I just need a touch of black tint to yank it off white?

Keep in mind I am needing an exact match. I just want it to not stand out so much.

Thanks.

NOT BLACK! :eek:

If you used Marine-Tex and exposed the repair to sunlight, it will change in color to a yellow that'll need adjusting. :oops:

You want to add just a little yellow pigment to get your white gelcoat to match your existing off-white color, and when I say "a little" I mean maybe a drop or less of yellow to 1/4 cup gelcoat. I have a tube of polyester yellow tint I use but in a pinch go to a Hobby Lobby store and buy a small jar of Testors brand paint, the kind of paint you may have used to paint model airplanes when you were a kid.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Reactions: tag
Awesome suggestion Alan.
I have same issue. I actually wet sanded the part around the patch and noticed it brought it back to original white color gel coat.. or at least very close as far as i can tell.. Will post my other questions on my original thread so as not to steal/distract this one.

Back