gear question

why don't you just get something like a small "S" hook, one end tie it down to the boom with thin rope with the SAME end attached to your outhaul line. the other end should hook onto the eyelet of the sail. its how most outhauls are set up anyways.

Hi Spot,

I think you are talking about brummel clips/hooks that used to be used on the clew tie down. They made disconnecting the tie down easy, but racers realized the clew would be an extra .5" or 1" higher on the boom, which resulted in less leech tension and less pointing ability. The racers went with just tieing the clew tie down.

MACWAS16 mentioned the Harken Clew Hook as an alternative, which makes connecting/disconnecting the sail even faster then the brummels, since you don't have to tie/untie the outhaul or the clew tie down (with the brummels you still had to untie the outhaul to release the clew from the boom), but again, a lot of the serious racers find the clew to be up to high and do not use the Harken hook in a breeze (not as much an issue in light air)

DrLaser has a lot more info on the clew tie downs on his site. If you aren't worried about having the lowest clew ht to the boom, go with the harken hook, it's so easy to rig/unrig the clew....

what i do is i use the s hook but on the closed ring end run a paeice of line through that and rap it around the boom about 3 times. this will get it as close to the boom as posible while allowing it to slide nicely.

of course you could always just gett he new rigging HAHA!

Spot, so you can see the Harken hook we are talking about, view it here:
Harken Clew Hook at APS - scroll to the bottom of the page

Macwas16 - you describe the Harken recommended method of tieing the clew hook to the boom, however even tieing it as tight as you can, the clew is still off the boom at least .5" That does not matter in a Radial, as you rarely two block the mainsheet, but it makes a difference in the Laser and is why folks go to the trouble to tie the clew of the sail directly to the boom.

FWIW, the Harken supplied clew tie down line does not slide very well on the boom, due to the "knobby" cover on the line. Switching to any of the 12 strand, non covered spectra lines will reduce the friction quite noticibly.

He deleted them himself and hasnt been back since, I don't know why. I noticed that on all his post. If he tried to do that now it would not be possible. EDITs are off.

Maybe i didn't turn them off; I will double check on it. PS did dyou wait a few minutes, I think there is a five or 10 minute edit window.

Back