gday from FNQ Australia

Jeez it is a bit of a handful in the shallows with no centreboard or rudder. Any pressure at all on the mainsheet and the sailboat is blown over. With no one on the shore to assist I have to be quick to untie any knots in the mainsheet and pull it out through the traveller and boom blocks.
Kimbo, I am enjoying your progress and posts. My Laser is pretty old, too (1981, built in Ireland). I sail mostly on Tomales Bay in N California. Super venue and usually great, steady wind in the teens. A couple of days ago I got careless on a fast reach while trying to video my buddy alongside. Here's a shot of the result. I'm 73 and had to marshal energy and correct procedures to right her and self-rescue. Being this is my fortieth year in the boat helps.

Attachments

• Laser Turtled.jpg
    Laser Turtled.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 73
I am 69 and started Laser sailing september 2years ago. My boat is from 1980. Before that I was sailing Snipe for 4 years. Before that 30ft regatta sailing and mini-transat. But the Laser solved all handicap problems and gives much more fun, much more sailing. Now I am sailing, before, I made the boat go fast, as a kind of passenger. This summer, I will experiment with mast float, solo sailing. Just tu take a brake when needed. But only in training sessions. At regatta, capsizing is a part of the game.

Great response thanks! As you’ve probably gathered, I’ve been using this thread to chart the story on my adventures on and off the water with my ‘70’s Australia-made Laser.

The exercise video you shared looks great, and fun too.

I am feeling remarkably well the next day with little stiffness or soreness, but that could be just luck I guess.

I didn’t push the Laser on my first outing with the Standard sail all that hard for most of the time. I was the only sailboat out yesterday and for the whole time I only saw two powerboats. When I returned to the shore on the mainland, I met a guy who came to check out my rig because they are also restoring a Laser. My friend with the Tri Fli had to work yesterday and said they were very jealous especially after I sent an SMS after I landed at Dunk Is.

I am going to try replacing the mast end clevis pin on the swivel for the boom vang with a bow shackle. Hopefully I can tie the lines from the cunningham to the shackle? Legality?
9BEBE3F3-B2DE-4315-A03B-4A205D3D0DCC.jpeg

B31A2604-B34E-4B71-841E-BC582E983379.jpeg

Current arrangement

Legality?
The rule isn't 100 % unambiguous here, but with no authority whatsoever I'd say it's legal :D ... and not only that but smart as well. In fact, the last time I rigged a boat with an original-style Allen vang cleat (for my former club) I used a shackle just like that - but I had a block there for a 6:1 cunningham, and that is definitely legal.

_

The rule isn't 100 % unambiguous here, but with no authority whatsoever I'd say it's legal :D ... and not only that but smart as well. In fact, the last time I rigged a boat with an original-style Allen vang cleat (for my former club) I used a shackle just like that - but I had a block there for a 6:1 cunningham, and that is definitely legal.

_
thanks for the explanation!

Messing around with ideas for attaching the outhaul and avoiding the illegal use of a shackle. I came up the the idea of an endless loop of single braid dyneema threaded through the fairlead in figure eight fashion. Why figure eight? I wanted the loop to be captive so it is one less thing I worry about losing
D7E2B587-F29A-4934-AB8D-56F6E4452F42.jpeg

1E035952-D5BF-4313-B5D0-1CBC1FE4C5BB.jpeg

Then attach the (ahem) illegal block luggage tag fashion.
I’d splice the block to the primary line if the outer braid had less threads.

AF1A1798-E2AC-4CCD-8ED2-2B1049340EB0.jpeg

Finally loop the excess of the endless loop around the end of the boom.

Last edited:
Confessions of a lazy day-sailor. I have about 95kg in a 1.8m frame to throw around. Hiking out the last outing was much of a case of “if I really have to (or I think someone may be watching) LOL. The rest of the time I was pretty content to let it heel somewhat. This can only lead to a dunking a-la Eyeper! I am impressed with how responsive the Laser is to controls and weight shifts. I think that helps build the complacency that will be my inevitable undoing!

Steering was pretty heavy, heavier than I expected. I had the draft at around 40%. Any tips please?

Last edited:
What are rec/ day-sailors using to tote their food, drinks and sunscreen?

It’s an 8km sail one way from my launch area to a nearby island. It is cool to take a break on the island and sit and check out the scenery, but it is hungry thirsty business. I have been curtailing my stops on the island least I succumb to thirst and hunger.

I am a keen kayaker, I like to paddle to the nearby island and sit and check out the scenery etc but there’s still that thirst and hunger thing.

Deck bags have been developed for kayaks and SUPs. I figured I’d buy a deck back and see if I can safely attach it on the foredeck of my laser.

I’ve ordered this one, 20 litre capacity by Overboard
EDA9A719-4881-49F4-AADF-EE107C56AA46.jpeg

These are the dimensions
9120074F-D082-42FE-9995-CDB80815227C.jpeg

I’ll let you know how it works out, with pics.

For racing its not allowed to make any extra attachment points to the hull or to the rig. So its allowed to clip a bag to the mast or to the footstrap or make a bag under a ventilation cap. Schrew cap, max 15,3cm opening. But if you only race club races, its not so serious.

For racing its not allowed to make any extra attachment points to the hull or to the rig. So its allowed to clip a bag to the mast or to the footstrap or make a bag under a ventilation cap. Schrew cap, max 15,3cm opening. But if you only race club races, its not so serious.

Thanks, I am not racing at all. It might be possible to run some deck lines between the bow eye and the cam cleats for the mainsheet without having to add any extra attachment points. I won’t know until I receive the deck bag and test that idea.

Confessions of a lazy day-sailor. I have about 95kg in a 1.8m frame to throw around. Hiking out the last outing was much of a case of “if I really have to (or I think someone may be watching) LOL. The rest of the time I was pretty content to let it heel somewhat. This can only lead to a dunking a-la Eyeper! I am impressed with how responsive the Laser is to controls and weight shifts. I think that helps build the complacency that will be my inevitable undoing!

Steering was pretty heavy, heavier than I expected. I had the draft at around 40%. Any tips please?
If you aren't worried about legal, and want better, easier steering (much less weather helm) go get you a Hobie 16 rudder and shape the top a bit so it fits your Laser Rudder Head. You'll be amazed....

If you aren't worried about legal, and want better, easier steering (much less weather helm) go get you a Hobie 16 rudder and shape the top a bit so it fits your Laser Rudder Head. You'll be amazed....

Wow, great tip thanks. I know what to buy when I have to repair/ upgrade the rudder!

I made up this simple (not class legal) outhaul rig today, it does not involve shackles. The large loop goes through the fairlead and then down around the end of the boom. The small loop attaches to the clew end of the sail luggage tag style.
B3D3E462-3DC9-4F81-B164-160678E54F54.jpeg

I set up a bungee luggage web on the foredeck for carrying food and drinks for when I stop off at the nearby offshore islands. I haven’t finished tying down the bungee but you’ll get the idea.
779E7230-26B6-4020-8E0E-8F6FDA911BF8.jpeg

I have been messing around with control lines, every one is now a different colour. Lots of splices and loops too. Why spliced connectors? I rig up from the beach, I live in fear of losing a shackle or a pin in the loose sand. The more splices and loops used, the lower the risk of losing shackles or pins, besides splicing is fun.

Back