Furling System Specific Questions

kenk

I purchased the Harken 434 Small Boat Furling System hardware and have a few questions. I’ve been reading the C-14 National Association Handbook. The included drawing and hardware chart that appears to be from Carpi in Woodland Hills shows that I need to replace the wire that is in the luff with a 13’ 6”, 1/8” 1x9 wire. The skimpy instructions that came with the Harkin hardware state; “Your sail must have a 1x19 counterlaid stainless steel wire sewn into the luff with thimbles that are sewn firmly to the tack and head so they will not turn.

So, I’m not sure what thimbles are, but I hope the sail maker does. Looking at the drawing in the handbook, it looks like the ends of the luff wire stop right at the end of the tack and head. In other words, it looks like the wire is only as long as the sail luff. Here’s the problem, if this is so, my sail luff (orginal sail) measures 13’ 3”, not 13’ 6”. I want to be sure to have the wire made to the correct length so I can take it to the sail maker.

Once I get the wire sewn into the luff, I will need a “Furling Jib Pennant 15” long. This part seems pretty straight forward.

Can anyone help me out with this. A description of “Thimbles” and how they attach the wire to the sail luff would be nice. And help me out with the wire length. Thanks.

Hi Ken,
I'm not familiar with any furling systems but I do know what a thimble is. You can make one yourself by sawing a short tube in half lengthwise and then bending it backward, with ID (inside diameter) outward, into a pear or tear-drop shape. They're used to line and protect the insides of eye splices in either wire or rope, and the ID of the tube is matched to the OD of the line.

I suspect your sailmaker should know all about them. If he or she doesn't, maybe you need someone with more experience.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Back