Furling Jib Question

Treetops

Can a standard jib be modified by a sailmaker to function as a furling jib? If so, approximately what would this cost?

Thanks,

Scott

Kurt at SLO sails can answer that question for you. www.slosailandcanvas.com I would call him rather than emailing. I had him install a new larger window in my roller furling jib and I also bought a cover for my 14.2 from him. I really like dealing with him, fair and honest.

Furling jib from original

Hi Treetops --
And don't let them try to tell you that this is a big job that should cost alot of money. I did it myself with a $5.00 sewing kit from Harbor Freight, a swager I paid too much for at West Marine (cuz I wanted it right away, and so paid the "right away" price there), and some wire and parts I bought from the local friendly rigging shop. The biggest materials expense was the new 1/8" jib luff wire and that costs a rigging shop very little. Whole job took a first-timer maybe 8 hours, a pro should've been able to do it in about 3 I'd guess.

It works fine with the Harken 434 furler and swivel, just requires that I be pointing into the wind when I re-furl it up and seems to like it if I keep a couple of turns of line in the furling drum with the sail unfurled all the way out. I've used it partially un-furled to reef the jib and had no problem in winds to 22 mph.

I've seen posts that suggest that the rig has to be tight for this to work, but I keep mine real loose and it's been flawless -- as long as it's all attached properly. It seems like the jib's sailcloth "settles into" the new usage and it is working smoother with each outing.

Just the DIY'ers perspective and results.

happy sailing,

jim / so. fla.

Back