Furler control line tie off

jaeger

Just curious as to where those with Jib furlers tie of the control line. I currently use the port side Jib Car adjustment screw.

I have had this unwind and let loose, so I would like to find a better way.

I have been thiking about adding a small cleat to the outside of the Jib car. In addition, I may attach a fairlead to the port side shroud adjustment plate to guide the line.

My boat has a small cleat just to the port side of the mast. This works very well, except that when I sail alone I must go forward (which means let go of the tiller) to furl the jib. I was thinking of installing a secondary cleat, perhaps a very small jam cleat, next to the centerboard so I can reach it single handed.

I puzzled over where to run the line for a while and settled on this.

My boat, a mod 1, has a nice tapered white stripe of gelcoat down the middle of the foredeck between the gray textured sections. I ran the line along that, so that it starts in the center at the bow but ends up a few inches port of the mast by the time it gets to the cockpit.

FIrst it angles down through a fairlead, then runs aft to a cam cleat that's about six inches in front of the teak fairing that I can't remember the correct name for. The cam cleat has a built in fairlead so the line stays in place.

If I'm feeling very nervous, I'll tie it off on the mast cleat that I used to use for the jib halyard. But I rarely need to.

I sail mostly solo, so I would like to get the control line within reach. If you place it near the center board then the cuddy would be blocked and I would be concerned that when I did have crew they would have one more thing to trip over.

So maybe as Paul suggested, two points to tie off. One near the mast when you have a crew and one near the centerboard when you don't.

For that matter, I may look at atattching the second to the Barney Post. This will mean no holes in the fibergalss, it would be in reach and the angle from the foredeck down would be decreased.

Art

I'm Han Solo mostly too, and it never occurred to me to bring it any further aft than the mast. I'm usually sitting near the jib car and it's within reach. I'm not sure you'd need to bring it into the cabin at all.

The right amount of furl and the right conversion

AS I mostly solo also, I added two small fairleads guiding the furling line back to a cleat just aft of the jib car. The line runs nicely under the cam cleat for the jib. That runs out to be farther back than necessary, but it works.

However, I am curious what guidelines or personal experience members have for the right amout of furl in heavy winds. My furling (retrofit) cut loose and the sail spun free from the shroud with about 70% of the sail exposed to 15+ mph winds. A full jib is often scary in heavy winds. The boat feels better with a little less jib, but I don't want to wreck the furler or fight the boat when it goes. Any advice on proper furling, proper conversion, or even a smaller jib woud be appreciated. I gave the sailmaker the Capri manual sheet on furling, but that is not real clear on making sure the sail stays put with the wire.

I'm curious to know, also. I'm not sure partially furling really works. Every time I've tried it, the wind has grabbed the sail and forced it to unfurl most of the way anyway. If there were a way to stiffen the stay so it didn't twist, that might work.

Back