Frostbitting

lol Ken. It's hard to think of any sailing right now where I live. A low-pressure system that formed over Canada has swept in and the high for today was 15 degrees fairenheight. Wind chill makes it a little above 0.

Its pretty cold right here. I think -18 Celsius... Without wind chill :/

AWW its gonna get down to 26 tonight. Bring out the space heaters and turn up the heat.

Originally posted by will162878
At the moment, the water is warmer than the air.

Tis true......the air temp -wind chill is 21 and the water temp is 36. I'm sure when I pull myself out of the drink in the middle of the hudson it'll feel like a spring day.... :) :) :)

Thanks!!!!

Was in Turks for a month.....almost didn't come back. Yesterday it was 93.....white powder sand clear warm water.....all sun all day.....sailing the reef in 12 15 knot offshore....or commonly known as weather rail island sailing........paradise. I come home and it's a frozen wasteland......awesome. :) :)

Welcome me back boys ....it's miller time...!!!! :) :)

the good old georgia boys went out and froze last weekend. when we got in, there was ice on our decks and our stopper knots froze together. brrrrrrrrrrr!
i feel bad for everybody up north where frozen lines is the norm

Forzen lines in salt water can wreck some modern ropes. Obviously some are made to withstand it but some will not - choose lines carefully if you sail in freezing conditions...

I think that freezing lake water is fine on ropes - its the salt that wrecks some ropes when water freezes inside the fibres. (I think - I'm not entirely sure though...)

Ocean sailors will never get that freezing lines problem.
If you haven't sailed on the sea, you should try it - it adds a whole new dimension to laser sailing. (Unless your lake is big enough to have large waves and tides...)

lol. not exactly. ocean waves are much different as you can imagine and so is sailing on an ocean. I train on a lake but most of our races are on the ocean. On the ocean, tides, currents, and winds are all factors not experienced as much on a lake. Out there, the waves all come from the same dirrection which is mostly from the direction the wind is coming from. This is like a double force that takes strategy to excel on. There is nothing like sailing a laser our on an ocean. If you love the point of sail you are on you most likely can stay on that tack for miles and miles. (if you want to, that is.) I love sailing on the ocean, it makes lakes seem so lame and fortifying.

That completely depends on the area and wind direction. Generally, sailing near the coast, with an offshore wind, you will experience an oscillating shift upwind. Frontal systems will cause permanent shifts, on the ocean, these happen a lot faster than inland. You get more shifts closer to the shore but generally, not as many little shifts. On an ocean, you don't tack on the smallest shifts, unlike inland racing, because other factors like tide and waves also have a large priority in strategical thinking.

Ocean water movements add another 2 dimensions to racing that you always have to think about when considering which way to go.

Sorry, kind of off the subject. But...last week at frostbite there was VERY light air. All you smaller sailors - don't you hate it when it always blows and you have to get walked on by the full rigs, but then...it gets light one day (yes, I'm light I'm gonna do good) and everybody complains about it and doesn't go out. I guess it could work reversly for bigger people.

Yes, deffinately. It is also a great time to learn and to practice your weight distrabution strategies. This just means where on the boat you sit. In light winds, this can make a BIG differeance.

you guys must come from the ocean. the only time that I get to plane in a boat is during the winter. We never get wind in the summer.

I wish I could hike some. Let me put it this way: when it starts to white cap (12 kts) which isnt' often, people think it's too much wind and don't go out.

heh now thats funny. At my training with my team, when it is about 20knts or more, our coach doesnt let any of the little kids out. But she does let me and a few others go out with an assistant coach just for fun. So one day last year when the wind was about 25knts, we rigged up a 420 and on a beam reach we got on plane in like a second and we outran the 13ft whaler with a 40 hp engine. We train one this small lake and one time as we were coming across a small point we flew off this wave and we were headed towards this point at like 20knts and i thought we were about to crash for a minute......aww good times

I have no problems in going out in15kts steady with gusts of 20kts in a radial/snipe (mabye not in winter), but I wouldn't know anything about what 25 looks like. I can't even imagine 30kts.

Light air does teach you to be patient, though.

Back