Frostbiting Outfit

Jbarth13

Hi

I'm looking to step into both frostbiting and the laser class this winter. I've already got the boat, and now I'm looking at gear. I have an old drysuit that should work, some polypro long johns, some fleeces and hats, and a pfd. From what I understand, I still need boots, hikers, and gloves. Any recommendations on any of these items? I'll be sailing in MA/Newport, so temps will be pretty low. As far as hikers go, I was looking at getting some SEA 3/4 airprenes, to be worn outside the drysuit (so it doesnt get ripped). I figure that they probably wont do much for warmth outside, and I want the versatility of the airprene for summer. I'm a college student, so I'm really trying to keep costs down. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Jon

i use shorts outside instead of hikers. last year i was on a tight budget so I just bought as i needed after. as long as the drysuit is dry you should be all set. Boots well what ever you desire or use in the summer. aigle are the old standbys

Jon,

I don't think that wearing hikers on top of the dry suit will work because dry suits tend to be bulky. Perhaps you can wear hikers underneath.

I wouldn't make too much of a fuss about the clothing issue. You are new at frostbiting, without a trust fund, I gather, and you already have a lot of clothing. Just layer what you got, based on the environmental conditions.
Boots maybe nice, but aren't required. I just wear an old pair of sneakers over the booties on my suit. Thicker (wicking) socks if it gets colder. Or does your dry suit not come with booties? I have read good things about Goretex socks but they are $$$.

Protecting the suit with short pants as Beaker suggested is a good idea; I got a small rip in my suit because of a nail in the dock.

Gloves (the right kind) are definitely important; you can use the Search function to find out more, if necessary. Or consult the Sailing Anarchy "Gear" section.

hikers underneath defeat the point of wearing them. One of the major reasons I wear hikers over my drysuit is to protect it. I have those annoying cam cleats for the mainsheet on my boat and have not removed them yet. Thus, I am uber concerned about ripping my very expensive drysuit. I'm lucky that I've shrunk a bit in recent history so I have one set of hikers that are one size too big. They fit wonderfully over my drysuit and base layers.

hikers underneath defeat the point of wearing them. ---snip---

I disagree - where the hikers are in your layers doesn't change the fact that they are providing additional support/surface area to your leg, and lifting you higher off the deck and inside the drysuit they are providing more warmth then outside.

I'd consider you lucky that you have a pair that fits on the outside, I think a lot of people find that during and shortly after the next 30 days, they are lucky to get their hikers on period.

Hi

--snip-- I have an old drysuit that should work, some polypro long johns, some fleeces and hats, and a pfd. From what I understand, I still need boots, hikers, and gloves. Any recommendations on any of these items? I'll be sailing in MA/Newport, so temps will be pretty low. As far as hikers go, I was looking at getting some SEA 3/4 airprenes, to be worn outside the drysuit (so it doesnt get ripped). I figure that they probably wont do much for warmth outside, and I want the versatility of the airprene for summer. --snip--

Make sure you have checked the seals (neck/wrist/booties) Unless it's been well taken care of, the latex has a life span of about 5 years before it degrades and rips when streteched. It's not the end of the world if they are damaged (I've seen numerous duct tape repairs) and not to hard to replace if the body of the suit is still keeping the water out.

I also have the airprene hikers for the same reason (summer/winter) but I wear mine on the inside. If they are going to fit tight during the summer (which you want), it's doubtful they will fit over 2 or more layers of clothes and a drysuit.. I just wear some tight stretchy shorts on the outside to hold everything close to my legs. If you are really concerned about tearing the drysuit (and wetsuits tear just as easy), remove the mainsheet cleats - typical frostbite races are short in length and you shouldn't need the cleats.

For boots, I wear the neoprene versions with the soles (Ronstan and I know others make them as well) They seem to provide more warmth over the original Aigles, and also stretch more if you have two layers of socks on making them easier to put on and a little more comfortable once they are on.

Gloves are really a personal pref thing - Some people can't stand cold hands and go for the thicker neoprene gloves, other prefer extreme flexibility and minimal warmth

Back