Frostbiting - in relative terms...

Dwight Schrute

I live in Marquette, Michigan on Lake Superior. Where do people who practice "frostbite" sailing reside? Some Winters, as much as 9X% of the surface of Lake Superior freezes. It gets pretty cold here.

What are the water and air temps people are thinking of when they say frostbiting?

I think most right coasters above the Mason-Dixon line call sailing from say Nov thru April "Frostbiting" Maybe a better term is winter sailing, as it's a lot different sailing in upper New England than it is in Annapolis in that time period.

To me, once the water temps drop below 45 degrees it's frostbiting or when the wind speed is higher then the temps in F ;)

Here's the deal with frostbiting - Frostbiting is awesome! Since I live in Boston it takes a hell of a cold winter for saltwater to freeze therefore we can sail year round. Get the right gear and go! The competition is really good,the course is short because we typically sail in protected bays (can you say 12 minute races) so the fleet stays close. There are a lot of excellent sailors - so the competition is fierce. Actually, call me crazy but it's my favorite time of year because the competition is so good.
If you haven't done it you've got to check it out.

That's when it's time to put the Laser away and get out the DN! :)

First regatta of the season in only eight weeks!

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Got a question for you. Suppose there is a semi-experienced water sailor who lives in a warm(er) climate. Where could he go to try out iceboating?

...To me, once the water temps drop below 45 degrees it's frostbiting or when the wind speed is higher then the temps in F ;)
I've read this rule of thumb elsewhere and curled up one eyebrow...

Let me get this straight -
We should start to be careful if we're going to sail in 40 knots at 40 degrees?

...or 20 knots at 20 degrees?

Should we take precautions above 10 knots at 10 degrees?? Ya think?!

When it gets down below 40 and you're wet, the wind chill is unbelievable (at even 10mph).

I looked up some safety basics from waterski info - similar in that you are wet and in the wind. There is a wind chill chart, water temp layer guide, the "100 degree rule," and general cold water info.

"Don't be dumb and ski numb. Take preventive measures and know the signs of hypothermia and frostbite," it says. They also caution against "cold water shock" at water temp 50 degrees or below...

Attachments

• Sailing 100 Degree Rule.doc
    77.5 KB · Views: 91
Today on Flathead Lake in Montana, it is 45 degrees, blowing 27 mph WSW, and the water is in the mid-50's. And me with no dry suit.

Here's the deal with frostbiting - Frostbiting is awesome! Since I live in Boston it takes a hell of a cold winter for saltwater to freeze therefore we can sail year round. Get the right gear and go! The competition is really good,the course is short because we typically sail in protected bays (can you say 12 minute races) so the fleet stays close. There are a lot of excellent sailors - so the competition is fierce. Actually, call me crazy but it's my favorite time of year because the competition is so good.
If you haven't done it you've got to check it out.

What she said! details here: http://www.cpyc.org/laser/regatta.html

Back