Frequency of hull cleaning/painting

warnox

Hey!

I have a part share in a 18.6 foot (ex trailer sailer) Lidgard yacht. She is moored 24/7 and over time a decent amount of dirt builds up on the bottom. I would just like to know your opinion on how often I should be taking the boat out of the water to sand/paint the bottom? I can just take it to a low tide beach and give it a clean that way but would like to know if it should be fully taken out and re-painted about once a year.

I have been told that it only needs to be done once every 3 years but I'm not too sure if this is correct. Any advice welcome.

Thank you,

Gregor

Hey!

I have a part share in a 18.6 foot (ex trailer sailer) Lidgard yacht. She is moored 24/7 and over time a decent amount of dirt builds up on the bottom. I would just like to know your opinion on how often I should be taking the boat out of the water to sand/paint the bottom? I can just take it to a low tide beach and give it a clean that way but would like to know if it should be fully taken out and re-painted about once a year.

I have been told that it only needs to be done once every 3 years but I'm not too sure if this is correct. Any advice welcome.

Thank you,

Gregor

Does it have ablative paint on the bottom? It should, and every three years sounds about right unless the cleaning is taking off a low quality paint faster.

Hi again!

Last summer 3 layers of paint (antifouling) were applied when it was out of the water.

Cool, thanks for your help. I guess just a clean this summer should be fine!

Gregor

Back