Freak sail update

mixmkr

Not totally happy. I took the draft completely out...and the roach is a tad floppy. Very top needs a batten or something to keep the curve out. I made a "sleeve" for the upper spar and the foot is loose footed.

One issue I kept running into was the old sail I was using...I hadn't really used the sail in the past... and it was like dealing with "rice paper" I might get a sail or two out of it, but I expect it'll blow out with any breeze unless I replace the old panels beforehand. I was thinking just backing/doubling it up with some rip stop nylon I have, to at least get an afternoon sail in, before it totally rips in half. That's what I did with the weird shape blue panel, up top.

IF...and IF the sail performs half decent, I can see ordering an Intensity sail and starting over and make corrections from what I've learned. IDK. Or just start from scratch...probably easier.

You can see the original Sunfish sail shape...and basically the square footage I took out at the clew...I added it back up top, using mostly clear vinyl scraps I had laying around. I took 30 inches off the foot.

I'd buy some X cut type monifilm...but that and sail cloth is so expensive nowadays to be hacking around with it. A new Intensity sail actually gives me more "sailcloth" for the money, versus ordering from Sailrite....even my wholesale account.
SInce I don't do sails... (but I do windows!)...anybody with a "heads up" on where to buy Dacron or Monofilm (like in windsurfers, etc... ) I'd appreciate the info. As it is.... the "good stuff is about $25/yard with 54" widths max. That's about $150+ material for a Sunfish sail right there.

Sorry for the blown out photo...I HAD to shoot into the sun when I took the pic.

Attachments

• edit 3.JPG
    edit 3.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Not totally happy. I took the draft completely out...and the roach is a tad floppy. Very top needs a batten or something to keep the curve out. I made a "sleeve" for the upper spar and the foot is loose footed.

One issue I kept running into was the old sail I was using...I hadn't really used the sail in the past... and it was like dealing with "rice paper" I might get a sail or two out of it, but I expect it'll blow out with any breeze unless I replace the old panels beforehand. I was thinking just backing/doubling it up with some rip stop nylon I have, to at least get an afternoon sail in, before it totally rips in half. That's what I did with the weird shape blue panel, up top.

IF...and IF the sail performs half decent, I can see ordering an Intensity sail and starting over and make corrections from what I've learned. IDK. Or just start from scratch...probably easier.

You can see the original Sunfish sail shape...and basically the square footage I took out at the clew...I added it back up top, using mostly clear vinyl scraps I had laying around. I took 30 inches off the foot.

I'd buy some X cut type monifilm...but that and sail cloth is so expensive nowadays to be hacking around with it. A new Intensity sail actually gives me more "sailcloth" for the money, versus ordering from Sailrite....even my wholesale account.
SInce I don't do sails... (but I do windows!)...anybody with a "heads up" on where to buy Dacron or Monofilm (like in windsurfers, etc... ) I'd appreciate the info. As it is.... the "good stuff is about $25/yard with 54" widths max. That's about $150+ material for a Sunfish sail right there.

Sorry for the blown out photo...I HAD to shoot into the sun when I took the pic.
sailmakersuppy.com - the owner Jean has great prices!

If getting out into open water is a goal, how much would you be helped by switching the gooseneck to the "wrong" side?

The upper roach is 30 mil window scraps...but I wanted thst a little extra stiff. Actually quality clear vinyl is more costly than Dacron, with the exception of reslly cheap stuff. Tyvek is too fragile for 20kts, for sure.
Gooseneck change...I tack enough jt wouldnt matter.

Not a bad first attempt. Looks like what you want to achieve needs full battons. Several years ago I stuck a vertical mast from another boat on my Sunfish and also the 2/3 jib rigged from the vertical mast to the bow fitting. It was awesome. Try a laser sail if you can borrow one.

Full battens are next on this practice sail. I have one you see...but the bottom one would need a 9 footer...too long For UPS. West says they have 9 footers they can ship...or I can splice two together.
It was windy yesterdsy...anchored my boat to the trailer...and anchored the trailer...and the sail was filling nice with an even draft...except the interior batten ends had a small hard spot. Still playing around!

Check out wood supplies at Menards or Home Depot. All of my original equipment on the Tornado were white oak and spruce. Use a furniture plane to taper and shape. I made a few spares back in the days of my old main.

Check out wood supplies at Menards or Home Depot. All of my original equipment on the Tornado were white oak and spruce. Use a furniture plane to taper and shape. I made a few spares back in the days of my old main.
Off topic: :oops:

My old Tornado main is marked with a 1976 Montréal World's Olympics inspection stamp. (Not a square-topped main). Does it have any additional value on the open market? (That you know of).

Last edited:

Back