Forward Hatch Cover on the Omega 14

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
My boat was restored before I purchased it. In that process I think they made a new hatch cover out of flat stock plastic. It SEEMS to fit nicely, but apparently leaks because when it rains the bin below it fills with water. I might consider making a new hatch cover if I thought I could slow down the leaking.
So here is my question. Does anyone have a picture of the original Omega 14 hatch cover so I can look at the original design for a reference? Jim

Here are a few pics of the hatch cover on my Omega 14, hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.
1521825160787.jpg
1521825185044.jpg
1521825245479.jpg

Thank you. That is completely different that what I presently have. It appears much better made and much more water resistant. I will be thinking about duplicating something like yours out of wood and fiberglass. Although.....now that I look closely. ...mine is somewhat different. Is the black gasket I see recessed in grove, or just weather stripping?

Attachments

• Three pictures hatch and looking back copy.jpg
    Three pictures hatch and looking back copy.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 54
The gasket is basically a rubber tube that is kept in place by a lip that rises up from the hole.

That looks pretty secure and water tight. My design is different. I am going to try putting some household weather stripping down and see how that works. Thanks for your help. Jim

Back