Forestay tension

ehart

Actually, I should title this "self-furling jib tension". The boat has a factory installed self-furling version, where the forestay is part of the jib.

So this boat is 2 weeks new to me. The sidestays are too loose, and I'm about to adjust them per the tuning guidelines posted here. But the guidelines don't say how tight to make the forestay after I'm done.

Suggestions?

More on this. I tightened the sidestays a notch on either side this evening. That's as tight as they will go. The forestay would have to be eased to tighten the sidestays further, and it is already eased as far as it can be with the current fittings. You're supposed to measure 21' 11" (or so) from the head of the mast to the stern. I measured almost 23' to start, and about 22' 3" after the change -- still longer than recommended.

So a couple of questions:

1. Are these measurements different for a furling jib setup?

2. Is it possible to have the sidestays too tight? They're really tight now.

3. Should I consider adding a longer shackle to hold the jib in place, to ease the forestay a bit more?

Cordially,

Eric

Tight shrouds are not fast, These boats sail better with a sloppy rig. The loose shroulds allow the slot to open between the main and the jib for more upwind speed and height. Downwind the loose shrouds allow the mast to lean forward for better sail position equaling more speed. Mast rake is important to neutralize upwind helm. Traveller height needs to also be set so the boom can be trimmed close to center and at the sametime not closing off the leach on the main when trimmed on. Search" Brain Janney" for comments on this forum.

Bob

Hi Fan,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate all your good posts on this site.

A little more background on this. The four screws holding down the plate at the bottom of the mast were loose (a couple were halfway out) when I bought the boat. I tightened them, but they didn't stay tight (two were stripped). I sailed a few times like that, and the most recent time, the screws not only loosened up again, but one (that wasn't stripped) popped the screwhead right off! A fresh breeze, but nothing outrageous, maybe 15 knots or so.

Another thing I'd noticed was that the front of the jib did not seem tight in a fresh breeze, sort of "sloppy" -- certainly looser than I would make the jib with a conventional halyard setup.

I just finished drilling through the deck and through-bolting the mast with big fender washers, to replace the screws that were in there. It won't be popping any screwheads anytime soon!

It occurred to me that perhaps the shrouds were allowing too much sideways motion of the mast, thereby pulling out the old screws. The measurements from the tuning guide seemed to confirm this idea, as did the looseness of the jib under sail. But now it seems *too* tight, even just tightened up one "notch" on each side.

Any more thoughts from anyone on this? How hard should I try to match the tuning guidelines -- should I lengthen the forestay so I can tip the mast back further and shorten the sidestays?

Cordially,

Eric

Do you race the boat? If you do, then speed and height are a big issue. If you daysail , then you could go with a tighter rig and it won't really matter a whole lot as long as you enjoy your sailing. You will enjoy a more balanced helm if you get the mast rake right.

I am concerned about you through bolting the mast step. If the mast comes down for some reason (shroud failure), you'll tear the fiberglass badly. With round head wood screws, the mast step bracket will just separate from the deck.

I speak from experience (had two boats with dropped rigs), believe me and dump the through bolt, go with wood or sheet metal screws.

Oh boy. The through-bolts are a done deal at this point, and I'd have to drill the mast step bracket and use much bigger screws to go back to screws at this point.

Your points did cross my mind, but being far out on the lake with a barely held-down mast kind of pushed me ahead!

Perhaps I'll pre-emptively replace the shrouds. Would that have prevented the shroud failures you've seen?

I don't race, but I'd like to be fast and safe! Are you saying lengthening the forestay to get the "right" rake might be a good idea?

Cordially,

Eric

Back