Forbidden using digital/electronical compass-watches

LooserLu

LooserLu
Hi all,
Start of quote:
"There are a growing number of electronic wrist watches on the market that incorporate a compass. I have seen some sailors using them. Class Rule 22 prohibits electronic compasses. Competitors may be protested for using these watches. Please pay attention to this class rule, especially sailors at the Olympic Games or at the World Championships, which is also the final Olympic country qualifier.
Jean Luc Michon
ILCA Chief Measurer"
End of quote.
Source: 2004 LASER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, Bitez, Turkey (http://www.laserinternational.org/wor2004/w04index.htm)

Related Laser-classrule is the current valid Bylaw Part 3 No. 22. ("…Electronic and digital Compasses are prohibited.")

This "advice" I quoted above, was given to the reader at the website for the Laser Worlds 2004.

Although I´m not an "olympionique", I´m not even a racer, I ask to my self –and now to you- what the hell they (the racers) can do with a compass-watch while racing? Is there something, I don´t know about, that is also interesting for me as Laser-cruiser?
Personally, I have a (not cheap) compass-watch (for big-boat coast-cruising).
In my opinion, this little digital-compasses are only good for fast orientation (not even for exact navigation, of course).
I tried to sail my Laser upwind, using the compass-watch, to realize maybe upcoming turns of the wind direction. But, this was much more difficult to do with these watches, than with a normal, analog big Silva 103 (or just without a compass, only with "targeting" landmarks ashore).

Thanks for your opinions already yet and "see you on the water…"
Looser Lu

Back