For the Bay Area sailors

chris williams

During the 2 or 3 years I lived in San Francisco, one of the most fun things I did sailing was sail in the Dinghy Delta Ditch run sponsored by Lake Washington Sailing Club. This year it looks like it is August 3, but the Notice of race isn’t posted yet LWSC Calendar

You start near Rio Vista, sail up the Sacto River for a few miles, then hang a right into the industrial canal and sail to the LWSC in Sacto! It’s 27 miles I think! The idea is it’s generally downwind so an easy sail. In case of wind failure they have tow boats. They also have great logistics so you drop your boat at the start, drive your car to the club, and they bus you back to the start.

The starting times are handicapped so Sunfish start earlier than say Lasers. When I sailed it I led to about the 15 mile mark when boats with spinnakers passed me, but I still finished in the top 7 or 8. I’d highly recommend this, and you hardly need to be a pro-level sailor to sail in this.

Thanks for this information Chris. I was just telling my wife last night that it might be fun to go to the Delta and sail. I'll look into this and plenty of time to prepare if I enter!

Back