For family (wife & I) use?

Just getting into this sailing thing and was wondering if a Laser would be ok for a more sedate sail, as with the wife or are they primarily a single handed racer ? I don't hear much on general sailing.

Laser can be used as an introductory 1 to 2 person boat. This is actually the origin of the design. It became fairly common and turned into a popular inexpensive boat for "one-design" racing. (all boats as equal as practical, making it mostly about skill, not so much about the budget of the boat owner)

Get 3 people with fairly even boats on the same lake and its likely they'll try to outrun each other...

It all depends, in winds from 15 knots and up with the standard sail the Laser is a handfull for everyone except experienced dinghysailors if you add gusty wind conditions, with the wind comming from a different angle in the gusts it can be frightening and a lot of swimming.
In less wind and with the smaller sail options it's manageble for anyone who is agile enough to move around to balance the boat. Smaller sails also requires shorter bottom section to the mast though.
One thing to factor in is that the best way to enter the boat is from standing beside it in the water. Empty it easily tips over.

Just getting into this sailing thing and was wondering if a Laser would be ok for a more sedate sail, as with the wife or are they primarily a single handed racer ? I don't hear much on general sailing.
The Laser is primarily a single-handed racer.
There are much better choices for casual outings with family/friends.

90% of the time single handed. I've taken my grown son or wife out a few times. It's a very tight squeeze and don't attempt it if there is much of a breeze.

Could you name a few of these better choices ?
Yes, a Capri 14 would be a good choice; there's a forum associated with this site:
Capri 14 Forum | SailingForums.com

Other possibilities are 420 and FJ (both used by high-schools and colleges), Albacore, Vanguard 15. An 'offshoot' of the latter is the Zim 15. All these have two sails, which gives the crew something to do.
The Megabyte (one sail) is another (roomy) option.
And I am sure there are others...

Last edited:
Sounds like you want a Sunfish. Laser-sized but lower tech and lower performance, but tons of fun. Plus you can get one new or in most of the country east of the Mississippi or anywhere in TX you should find lots of used ones for sale.

Back