follow through with the purchase of an albacore ?

nickm.main

Im a teenager who's been saving up for a little while now and I am wanting to buy a slooprigged sailboat , one that I can sail with friends but aswell on my own .
I plan on bringing the laser to the city and putting the sloop at the cottage .

I've found an albacore for a good price, and I am considering giving the man a deposit , is this wise ?

If you are interested in a boat similar to the albacore look at a
Coronada 15 or a laser 2.
Both are capable of being equipped with a trapeze; and the laser 2 can fly a spinnaker. Before i purchased the laser 2 I was looking hard at a C15.
As with most purchases It all depends on your price range and condition of the boat and if you are willing to travel to purchase, shrug.
Cats can be a kitch bitty to step a mast... but if you are keeping it at the lake then that is a moot point.
Hope this doesnt muddy the water.

Thanks for the quick reply , I will definitely keep my eyes open ! I plan to buy used however and I don't know how probable it is that those would pop up :( .

( p.s. I saw a laser 2 earlier this year, but I didn't bite becasue I had the impression that they were no longer in production,and I was worried that If something happened, I couldn't order the parts to repair it . )

Thanks for the quick reply , I will definitely keep my eyes open ! I plan to buy used however and I don't know how probable it is that those would pop up :( .

( p.s. I saw a laser 2 earlier this year, but I didn't bite becasue I had the impression that they were no longer in production,and I was worried that If something happened, I couldn't order the parts to repair it . )

Lack of spares is a concern re: the laser 2. Every know and then a rudder or daggerboard will show up in classifieds...(i think intensity sails lists a daggerboard) the main concern would be spars. rigging is easy to duplicate.

good luck in your search.

rtp

Here's a little follow up message to update everyone !
I have found two boats I am now interested in ! both in the same price range ; one is a 16 foot hobie cat ,the other is a "woods quattro"(also a sixteen foot cat) .
With the hobie cat Im fairly certain he has a trapeze,a mast float ,and trailer all included, So the hobie cat is definitely what I favour right now.

cheers !
nick .

Here's a little follow up message to update everyone !
I have found two boats I am now interested in ! both in the same price range ; one is a 16 foot hobie cat ,the other is a "woods quattro"(also a sixteen foot cat) .
With the hobie cat Im fairly certain he has a trapeze,a mast float ,and trailer all included, So the hobie cat is definitely what I favour right now.

cheers !
nick .

I skip both, Hobie 16 is not a well designed boat (and UGLY) and is the pitch-pole king, a Hobie 17 is much better; the Woods 16 I never heard of and when I looked it up it looks like a homebuilt and any wood hull boat is a maintenance pig and you are at the mercy the quality of construction of the builder .

If you are looking for a light, high performance and sea-worthy catamaran for a reasonable price look at a Dart 18. They still make them and are a popular class in Europe and sail them in sea conditions. Prindle 16 is a robust boat though looks really dated. A Mystere 5.0 xl is a nice boat though early ones are fragile and finally if you have a few extra bucks look at a Nacra 500, which is basically a modern day Dart 18

this is the woods website :
http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/
Go to "pre-owned" and scroll until you see the add for quattro 16. thats the one !

A Dart 18 or Hobie 17 will cost you about $1000 more but there is more demand for it. You can't just look at the bottom price, you have to look at saleablity in case you don't like it you want to be able to get rid of it easily. Quattro 16 is not listed in the Portsmouth Yardstick in the Active classes or even in the Inactive. Don't buy an orphan. It is like buying an Invitation or Bombardier 3.8 to a Laser

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Portsmouth_Yardstick/Tables_2010/Multihull_Classes.htm

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Portsmouth_Yardstick/Tables_2010/Multihull_Classes-Inactive.htm

Back