Foils

ronny_f

Hi all
I have just purchsed my first laser and have a questions for the many.
The foils on my laser are all woden ca i build my own to the rules or do they need to come from a laser suplier
thansk
ron

The ILCA rules mean that all laser equipment, unless specifically states in the ILCA rules, has to be supplied by a registered builder (Vanguard for the US and NA.) See "Basic Rules References" for links to these rules at the ILCA website...

I think is you sandwich it between 2 boards and clamp tightly, leaving it in a black bag does the trick. I am not sure though, so you better get that checked before you risk your board!

...out in the sun so it heats up and softens the foil. Sun's heat is propbably what distorted it in the first place.

Laser foils aren't fibreglass. The oldest ones are wood; the newer ones are a poly foam with steel supporting rods. The white finish is paint, not gelcoat.

The Epoxy Boards do warp. Alot. Do not leave them in the sun either unless the are supported. I have yet to see a straight one out of the factory. You can get the bends in the trailing edge out with heat but usually a rebuild is required.

couldn't Vanguard make foils out of something stronger. i see tons of boards with chips and cracks and scratches (big ones)

whatever you make foils from, they will get hammered because they stick so far out the bottom of the boat. Poly boards are easy to repair so probably better than aluminium boards which are harder to restore.

On a lot of other boats i've sailed, there are alimunum(can't spell it) boards. I've never seen one cracked, broken or chipped. Some have little scratches, but you really have to hit it hard on something to scratch it.

lol

my board is a little bent at the bottom traling edge, the book ive read reccomends clamping the board firmly / heating it with a hair dryer (not neccesarily in that order - i cant remember).

Can you just use a heat gun on 'low,' or would that still damage the board? It seems that a hair dryer would take a while.

Back