Foil Paint?

Hilty

Hi
Having just done some repairs to my foils, i am trying to find out what is the correct paint to use to finnish the job. Does anyone know?

Hello Hilty,
From my extensive surfing (nightly, I've got the bug bad) of the Laser web sites. The best paint to use for foils and the hull is Awlgrip. It and several other paints are available from West Marine. The Awl grip is pricey but like anything else you get what you pay for and it is probably one of the hardest paints available for marine use. You can order it on-line or there might be a store close to you. They also have several other brands of paint that would work well for that application. The best bet I think would be to take your foils to a reputable auto paint and body shop and let them shoot it for you (unless you already have the spraying equipment). Macwas16 who posts quite frequently to this forum rebuilds Lasers for a hobby. He will probably have some excellent advice to offer you also.
Good Sailing to Ya,
Fishingmickey

I love Awlgrip more than anything!, but I would not suggest using it on foils, here's why: Laser foils are not made of fiberglass. They are made out of (I'm lacking the actual term here) yellow foam like stuff. And because of this, foils are not coated with gelcoat or Awlgrip. While your hull is nice and shiny, you may notice that your blades are not. Now this is bassically all the help I can render, all the boats I've restored so far have all had wooden blades. If you want to know what kind of paint is used on foils, shoot Vanguard an e-mail at [email protected].

But if you don't care if your foild aren't of the right paint...use Awlgrip...it's great stuff!!

I was looking around try to find advice on fixing up my foils and found this on Dr. Laser site,

#127 / 128 VC Uderwater Teflon Epoxy Primer - a two part 50 / 50 mix white epoxy coating with Dupont Teflon added - is a great coating for centerboards. It is remarkably abrasion resistant. The problem is that it only comes in two gallon kits, is difficult to apply without making awful runs and drips, and is hard to sand smooth. It is also toxic for the applicator, and that applicator needs to wear proper clothing and a great respirator. A professional painter needs to do the job!

Back