Foam blocks glued to bottom?

Fred P

I was examining the inside of my '79 Sunfish and noticed that the foam blocks on both sides of the cockpit area are not glued to the bottom of the hull. Is this normal? The tops are glued with what looks like the original foam stuff. There is only a little play in the motion of the blocks at the bottom.

Thanks,
Fred

Not normal, but there has been one other post recently, reporting a similar finding. It appears that AMF/Alcort quality control wasn't so good in the late seventies.

Okay so Im the other guy. I have a 1976 Sunfish that had the same problem. So Ill post som pictures. it was adhered on the top but not the bottom. they did apply foam at the bottom but when they placed the styrofoam down they didnt set it into the expansion foam so it just expanded on the back side of the foam block. Makeing it useless. Anyways I think they used to adhere the foam to the deck then when it was set they would drop it into the foam on the bottom of the hull. (Laserperformance does it the opposite way. Probabbly so they dont end up with the same problems we have) .

They good thing is that its not too hard to fix. and when its fixed its brand new there is really no old foam to remove and the bond is excellent. My boat is super firm now. More so than some new Sunfish I have sailed.

Ill post some photos of my restoration. Good luck.

AJ6882:
That's exactly what I found. Thank you. I'll foam the bottoms and go from there.
The boat did go boom! when I crashed through waves on Cape Cod. No damage though.

Fred

Back