Flying Fish

Beekeeper

I found a Flying Fish for sale on western mass craigslist for $375, looks interesting. It has a different mast and sail on it, the owner says it's a two piece mast, not sure from what boat. I haven't looked at her yet but was wondering what thoughts some of you sailors of varied experience might have about this boat. I just sold my laser, still have my sunfish, vagabond 14, mistral 16 and the mfg copperhead I picked up this summer. The copperhead I actually enjoy sailing more than my sunfish. This boat is in my "can't get hurt too bad" price range and might be able to get it past my wife. Just looking for some comments, pros or cons. Thanks

There have been some threads on the Flying Fish. You can use the search box (upper right corner) to retrieve them.

Yup, pretty much read all those, thanks. Sounds like this boat has a two part mast and rolley tasker sail, forestay and shrouds have been added for mast support and the mast sits in a fitting on deck over spot where the original mast was stepped. A utility trailer has been modified with a cradle to support the boat for trailering. I might invest the time to take a look at her but seeing the only thing original is the hull, rudder and centerboard it takes away from owning an authentic Flying Fish.

I saw that post, and was also tempted by it for just a minute. The sail looks original (has the fish insignia) and ad says it comes with another sail. Rudder and daggerboard are original, and pic shows the boat recently in the water. Seller says it’s lightweight. Plus the trailer is nice-registered, with spare and has working lights- HUGE plus! That alone is worth the money…
But, like you, I have plenty of boats (currently 7 sailboats, 3 kayaks, a canoe and a 12’ motorboat)
I buy and sell, but I’ll be thinning the fleet a bit in the spring- as long as I stop looking at craigslist!
Sounds like you’ve got plenty of projects, too, but I do think this is a deal worth looking at if you’ve got the time and the space for it. I’ve just managed to get my boats stored away safely for the winter without a square to spare!

Attachments

• 256B316E-844B-495C-8343-1DEBF123ABD4.jpeg
    256B316E-844B-495C-8343-1DEBF123ABD4.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 50
He's got a hot prospect looking at it today so I paused, but it's not a flying fish sail or mast. It's something the owner before him configured to work, he didn't know what other boat the mast or sail came from but they were in good shape. One of my concerns was it had a forestay and shrouds added to a hull that wasn't designed for them, I was wondering about the stresses on the hull. He sails it so it must work though.

Here I go again, got a handle on two Flying Fishies, one has the hull boom, sail, daggerboard and boat cover. The other hull, daggerboard, rudder and tiller. I've located an original mast, but apparently the track the sail runs up is deteriorating or not functional. I think both hulls and parts could be all had for under $500. They look like cool boats and of course I have ample spaces to hide boats but am still trying to move out some of the glut.

I saw that post, and was also tempted by it for just a minute. The sail looks original (has the fish insignia) and ad says it comes with another sail. Rudder and daggerboard are original, and pic shows the boat recently in the water. Seller says it’s lightweight. Plus the trailer is nice-registered, with spare and has working lights- HUGE plus! That alone is worth the money…
But, like you, I have plenty of boats (currently 7 sailboats, 3 kayaks, a canoe and a 12’ motorboat)
I buy and sell, but I’ll be thinning the fleet a bit in the spring- as long as I stop looking at craigslist!
Sounds like you’ve got plenty of projects, too, but I do think this is a deal worth looking at if you’ve got the time and the space for it. I’ve just managed to get my boats stored away safely for the winter without a square to spare!
Love that collection, Breeze Bender! ⛵⛵⛵

Same here, I would have to get all the parts from three sellers for this boat, one is a guy named Mel from East Hartford, you must have seen some of his ads, sells dinghies on craigslist all the time. He has the mast, but the sail track is not functional, trying to figure out how to raise the sail without the track. Both the other hulls are in Conn. one in Brandford, painted hull, he doesn't know what the boat is, I figured it out by the pic of the sail. Not sure if it's worth the trouble with the mast issue.

Yes, getting that feeling too, especially since I'm not getting much feedback from the sellers, thanks, I trust your feedback. On another front, we're heading to lake Pontoosuc in Pittsfield Ma tomorrow to pick up a questionable hull with all new mast, rudder/tiller, daggerboard, sail and spars for a really sweet price. Will follow up with pics. Thanks, Breezy for your thoughts.

Tom

Back