Fluff inside sail

Torpedo

Hello, I haven't sailed in a few years and when I did there is a fluff on the inside of the sail. I'm guessing I haven't rigged it well. Is the fluff caused by lack of outhaul or downhaul tension?.. I sail a Classic Laser rig, and sail for leisure. No racing. Thanks

Attachments

• Sail fluff.jpg
    Sail fluff.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 69
Heh, I looked (as I often do) in a dictionary to see what meanings "fluff" might have... and I still don't understand what you mean. (Also I have problems visualizing something "inside" a 2D object like a sail :confused: )

There isn't anything wrong with the sail in the picture. If you're thinking about the forwardmost part not drawing... just pull the sheet in until it does.

A few extra tips based on the photo: 1) pull the clew tight to the boom, 2) tie a stopper knot to the vang tail so that the boom can't rise higher than that, and 3) sit farther forward :)

_

Well, the luff of her sail is certainly luffing in the picture :D But there’s no ”poor” rigging visible besides the already-mentioned loose clew tie-down/strap.

_

Thank you LaLi and Cactus Cowboy for guessing at what I was trying to describe. I guess fluff is not the best word to describe the air pocket in the sail near the mast. Thanks LaLi for the tips on rigging. Its helpful to have extra eyes. I'll do those on my next session out on the water :)

Yes. This is called "luffing". Either trim the mainsail in more or bear away from the wind until the sail completely fills. On those closer angles to the wind you'll need more boom vang trimmed on.

Back