floating containers

g1gaumond

Finally the mystery of the in-hull floating containers has been resolved.:)

For months, we have been reading about these illusive contraptions without being able to find ours on the old laser. When we opened an inpsection hole on the foward deck, we expected to find one there and even by trying to flip the boat whichever way we could not see one.

We figured this model is so old there was none then.

This week-end, we opened a hole on the rear deck in order to be able to fix the deck-to-hull joint at the cockpit drain and hold and behold, we found 4 of them all in the aft area, I'd say they are the 10L ones. Now would it be wise to move two of them forward or just leave them where they are? what is better?

Also, when cutting the inspection hole (just aft of the traveller cleat in the center of the deck) we found that the wood reinforcement under the deck was slightly moist. I figure the water infiltration can only come from the holes made when screwing in the traveller cleat. Woud this be a fair assessment or can there be more sources we should track down?

We figured, we would core out part of these holes, let dry for the winter then rebuild with epoxy and filler, does this make sense?:confused:

Thanks again for you input.

Ghislain

Hi
At the bow area there should be 3 big cubitainers and at the rear of the cockpit 3 smaller cubitainers (about 50% of the air volumebig ones). The compensatory-cubitainers are available at the Laser stores.

In attachment you see a phot of my old Laser I once owned. She has been built in 1978 at the UK (Performance Sailcraft Europe, now called LaserPerformance Ltd.). You recognize 3 big cubitaniers in front of the cockpit at the bow area.

Additional, you recognize the rotten areas of the wood there, too. Some came form the holes, yes, but also it comes from the humidity that naturally is to find inside of the bilge of a watercraft all the time, if the hull isn't well ventilated. The humidity diffuses through micro cracks in the fibreglass into the wood. Warm temperatures of the summers let to rotten the wood during the many years of the lifetime of such hulls.

If you want to stay class legal for the hull, you better do not use wodden backing plates inside under the deck faileads and clamps as the class rules do not permit them. It is permitted to use nuts and washers. I had ask this question here in 2004 former experts at TLF. For reinforcing the holes of the deck cleats/clamps and deck failreads etc. you better use good-quality 2-component epoxy resins (such as from West Marine). One may discuss now, if it makes sense to stricktly follow the classr ules for a very old hull. It's everyones own decision what to do, is my opinion. But the opinion of the measurers in this point is clear...

I am not an expert in reinforcing the original wodden plates inside of the fibreglass, as I never have done such a major repair. I remember some did it, but I can't remember to the TLF threads, sorry.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• DSCN0551.jpg
    DSCN0551.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 36

Back