fixer upper ?

oystercatcher

I have been given a beat up old laser. The hull appears sound with some cracks and holes. All fittings have been removed (perhaps ripped out). The hull has been patched around the daggerboard case and the repair looks reasonable.
The daggerboard and rudder are wood and are cracked but appear fixable with glue. The upper mast has a slight bend but appears usable. There is no rigging and the sail is usable with some small tears in the mast sleeve. One of the fittings to hold the rudder to the hull is missing and the other bottom one is plastic and the drain plug is missing.

I will try to fix what I can with minimal investment and perhaps jury up some rigging, the boat will only be used for light recreation. Before getting too deep into this, is this boat beyond consideration for repair?

It all depends on your level of experience.
Make sure you take a good look at the mast step. It's hard to tell exactly without looking at it but almost anything will sail. It sounds like you won't be racing so you just want to make sure it floats and doesn't fall apart while you're sailing. The most expensive part will be the deck fittings and rigging. The rest will be time and a little bit of fibreglass and epoxy. If you aren't farmiliar with lasers it might be a good idea to go to a local sailing club and talk to some laser sailors (other sailors can be very helpful too). You may be able to get second hand fittings, rigging tips, repair tips etc...
Good Luck

I need to check the hull for leaks. My thought is to run some water into the hull via the drain plug and patch up any leaks that are visible. Any comments?

Try using something like a shop vac blowing to put ait into the drain plug (NOT an inspection hatch, it can blow arpart joints) and put soapy water around all the suspect places. If there are only minor leaks you can use a bycicle pump.

Back