Fixed keel vs. centerboard?

jl602

Hi folks,

I am brand new to sailing and brand new to the forum as well. I've been reading like a fiend, but haven't tried out the book knowledge on the water yet :) Gonna fix that real soon now!

I'll be moving to a large lake this fall and would like to learn sailing on a small, easy-to-handle boat. A little research has pointed out the 14.2 as an ideal "trainer". As my experience and confidence increase, I plan to move up to a larger boat for inland overnights and possible near-shore cruising.

I like the idea of learning on the fixed-keel version of the 14.2, since it will be closer in design to what I'm moving towards. But it seems like most folks have the centerboard model. Maybe because it's easier to trailer? I dunno... Anyway, I'll have 6 feet of water at my dock and plenty of deep water to sail in. Shallow draft is not a requirement.

So, I'm looking for the pros and cons of each model. Even after I get the bigger boat, I'll probably hang on to the 14.2 for quick daysails or just pure fun when the wind is up.

TIA,
John
Sailing Newbie

Get a C14.2 with a centerboard. It will be more fun to sail as it will be quicker, more responsive, very easy to trailer and lanch. If you want to beach the boat to take a lunch break, lift the board and kick up the rudder, same if you run a ground. I also think the resale of a centerboard version would be easier.

The keel version is more stable and shouldn't really ever capsize. Rental companies out here in San Diego use the C14.2K (keel) as rental boats for their stability on the water, roominess and mild proformance.

When you get your overnighter, get it with a shoal daft keel (Catalina 22) or a water ballast / swing keel version like the Catalina 250.

Bottom line, leave the lead to the overnighter and enjoy the responsiveness of the dinghies with centerboards.

Ah... good point on "beaching". Wouldn't want to miss those spontaneous sand bar parties :)

I also realized it would be easier to haul the CB version up on shore for minor repairs and such. Probably can't do that with the keel version. Thanks for the perspective!

Cheers!
John

Back