Five Digit Class Sail Numbers - Is Anybody Shortening their Sail Numbers?

Woodwind

The Sunfish sail numbers are now up to five digits.
It was suggested to me that one could shorten the five digit number to the three last digits when applying them to the sail.
What do you all think?
Would this cause confusion somehow???

The likelihood of having the same digits as someone that just has a three digit number probably is pretty slim.

hmmmmm

Class rules are to use all 5. Everyone does except for a few people with either the legit or non-legit sail number version of a vanity license plate. The most famous is 808, which Bob Findlay uses as it looks like BOB. Look at the Intl Masters results. Almost everyone used their correct sail number.

The number 35 is on the sail of the Sunfish I purchased recently, is there a database that I can access to see the owner of that number or where this boat originated?

I’m just curious as to who number 35 was in this iteration and where this Sunfish sailed.

maybe there is a form of class sailing “HIPAA” :rolleyes:

Actually, upon further review, by cone must have been very congested. Each last three has only been used 80 times! Still, the rules stand, and there has been no movement, as seen in major regattas results, to shorten numbers.

SASsy! :rolleyes: but forthcoming... All good attributes...

possibly the combination of the last three numbers has been issued even less?

The rules are to be followed.....almost all the time
otherwise sailing anarchy!

Last edited:
The immediate thought of getting 10 largish sticky digits stuck to my sail in alignment on a sail stretched out on my lawn is a daunting thought...

of course I will put down a tarp first, but it doesn’t stop me from feeling like this :eek:

The Rules should cover those numbers.

If it's a problem for a different reason, use different-sized numbers:

The Rules should cover those numbers.

If it's a problem for a different reason, use different-sized numbers:

12 inch numbers are required. 35 must have been a number someone just picked. Unless you show up at the North Americans no one is going to bother you about them, and probably not there either - altho there they are strict about the placement being legal.

But if you are putting on your real numbers, you might as well put on all 5. It will eliminate any issues, and as pointed out, almost everyone does it. It is also slightly harder to read all 5, whereas the race committee is more likely to be able to read a 2 or 3 digit number and call you over early!

Ha! Beldar,
That is so funny About being called over the line early easier.

I’ve got the rules, the class association sent all the information I need.
And there’s quite a few YouTubes and instructional information on this site.
This is quite the community! Thanks All!

I have a new race sail so I’m going to put all five on, it is prudent.
Some of my buddies I know are going to talk me into racing so I had better get with it and practice with the new sail
and be proud of my numbers..... all ten of them when I put them on. :D

I know a sailmaker close by so I guess I’ll either beg him for space or barter with a big cake or something.

Cheers!

I detailed my process for a new logo and sail numbers here:

I laid the sail out flat on my living room floor to get the position of the logo and my Sunfish Class sail numbers correct. after getting the positions figured out (the orientation of the Sunfish logo was the trickiest part), I moved the sail to the dining room table – a flat, hard surface so that I could then peel off the backing papers, and apply the insignia cloth and sail numbers to each side of the sail.

it was a little difficult to get the logo to sit flat and without any bubbles or wrinkles in it, but the adhesive backing lets you pull the logo back up a bit and re-position it if you need to (I would imagine it will set up more permanently now that I’m finished, though).
all told, it was a pretty simple process – it took me a bit of time to do it, but I was pretty picky and wanted it to look as good as I could get it.

Tag, the numbers were applied almost perfectly but I think there's a 1/4" difference in the separation between the first and second 8. In the future you should be more careful.:D

Back