Five digit class number lookup

4borders

A few years back we bought a lake house in the Adirondacks with a boathouse. In the boathouse was a Sunfish sailboat with a broken bailer and other problems. The sail has a 5 digit number on it: 33539. Out of curiosity I’ve searched the web to see what I can learn about the approximate date of the sail and maybe even a person’s name. Is there a place I can go to lookup this number?

About the Sunfish. My guess is that its a 1971.5. It has bronze hardware, mahogany daggerboard, rudder and tiller. It has stickers that are AMF Sunfish Alcott Division. No current HID, but a torn foil sticker. The replacement bailer cap was a short one. The red cockpit has a storage compartment. The white deck has a set of red stripes (2 narrow, 1 wide) on the bow. After a wait of a couple of years I’m spending today peeling and “de-gluing” the numbers off the sail. Thanks to this forum, I have an idea about how to do remove the adhesive.

As a novice sailor, I look forward to later this week for its maiden voyage (with me!), but will what happens due to Hurricane Henri. Thanks for any information!

Back