First time on the lake with my restored Sunfish...

SailorHD

Got My newly restored sunfish on the lake today...It was a great day .The wind was 15 mph gusting to 26. The boat was solid with no leaks...Looking forward to the rest of the summer...

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    512 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 81
Nice looking boat - and no leaks! I need to get my ‘79 on the water pretty soon. I’m thinking of getting a new trailer - you have a really nice looking trailer and set-up. What kind of trailer is that, and is that a pool-noodle on the tie-down at the rear?

My trailer is a Wesco jet ski trailer given to me by my boss...I made some slanted bunks that fit great . I modified a dynamic dolly front support to fit the trailer and support the bow..and that is a soft pool noodle to keep the boat from getting scratched where the strap is...I split the noodle and put a home depot tie down strap inside...

Great looking boat and a beautiful lake. I just got a new Trailex trailer and I like your noodle protecting the deck from the tie down. Gonna employ that for my boat.

Looks great! Now all your restoration work pays off and a summer of fun is ahead. I also plan to borrow your strap through the noodle technique- brilliant!

Loong sails...just ran into an ad for them.

Window, multiple colors, six panels, $135. There is an exaggerated / aggressive cut to the sail at the sellers' websites. :eek: It's a sketch, but still! :confused:

Loong sails...just ran into an ad for them.

Window, multiple colors, six panels, $135. There is an exaggerated / aggressive cut to the sail at the sellers' websites. :eek: It's a sketch, but still! :confused:
I picked one up and it looks nice, I haven't sailed with it yet though. What are your opinions on the cut? I am not exactly sure what you mean.

Hi the lake is Hartwell ...Its a great lake and is wide with big waves when its blowing...there a lot of small beaches to take a break or go for a swim...The sail is a Loong sail bought off Ebay for 135 shipped. I have had many aftermarket sails and some are junk so I read the ad a few times before I bought it ...Well I will say I'm very impressed and it exceeded my expectations...

I picked one up and it looks nice, I haven't sailed with it yet though. What are your opinions on the cut? I am not exactly sure what you mean.
I haven't found the sketch, but this photo may help :oops:...some.

s-l225[1].jpg

See the deep curve to the foot? When I stretch out my many Sunfish sails, the foot is dead-straight. The now-absent sketch also displayed a strong curve to the luff—which is just barely discernable in this photo. I was reminded of a windsurfer sail. :eek:

'Course, when the sail is attached to the spars, the foot and luff are going to appear straight, but the sketch indicated a very, very, very full and deep sail.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

When sailing my new sail It had a great shape and with the race controls I adjusted it with the luff loose and outhaul loose with scallops along the luff and boom to experiment... then tightened the controls...It seems faster with the loose sail...one of the things that I liked was that the leech was flat on the trailing edge with no hook in the cloth..the sail fit the booms well and a seemed like it had a great shape...

That curve is the extra draft that is put into the newer sails, gives it a fuller shape for more drive. The new sails from Laser Performance's loft(s) have it and they set nice in a breeze with the bendy spars. Here is a Mai Tai sail we bought for SUGAR.

IMG_6463.jpg

That curve is the extra draft that is put into the newer sails, gives it a fuller shape for more drive. The new sails from Laser Performance's loft(s) have it and they set nice in a breeze with the bendy spars. Here is a Mai Tai sail we bought for SUGAR.
Excellent example!

Now, what's the difference between the Loong sail and the LP sail? (Other than race-legality?)

Or, has the Loong sail been ill-legalized?

Back