First time Capri Owner

drumbeater

I just bought a 1987 Capri 14.2 yesterday. Sail Number 1692. I bought it primarily for my 13 year old to sail. He has experience in Sunfishes, Lasers, Lightnings and JY's. We will be using it inshore in the Beaufort SC area.

I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and hopefully I'll be able to get plenty of the good information from you guys.

DB

The previous owner had lots of great info for me, including the C14 book in a binder. With the exception of the jib, this boat rigs alot like my Laser did.

DB

Well from one noob to another, welcome, I have what appears to be a early 1983 Mod 1 sail # 9. I sail the Ventura CA area.
I learned to sail at 17, your son has a big advantage, good for you!

Welcome drum... I am not new to the capri, nor a new sailor (been sailing and or crewing for at least 25 years).. have had my capri for almost 8 years now... sailed it in all kinds of conditions, but I am STILL learning. These boats are quite addictive. Definitely a nice upgrade from a laser. I am no expert, just like day sailing my lightweight sailing rocket.

Has anyone successfully flown a spin/geniker from one of these? How about a custom larger headsail?

Wish mine were new... but she still sails like new! New main sheet, new jib sheets, New halyards, redone teak, wash, wax, new centerboard bungee, new hiking straps, new sail bag, and the way I am going, probably a stripped and redone bottom! This doesn't include the work to the trailer.

There are always things to do. I got my $2200 worth out of this boat for sure. I know you will too!

I'm obviously going to search the site for ideas, but does anyone have a good source for parts. Someone knowledgeable about the Capri. I need to order a few odds and ends.

John

catalinadirect.com has most of the parts... however, call their technical department, to get the actual part numbers, then customer service to order. My experience is that they have most of the blueprints for the boat, and can get customer service to order the parts for you... it is a 2 step process, but they are pretty good.

Expect the more uncommonly stocked parts to take 6-8 weeks. Other stuff ships right away.

On week 6 waiting for my hiking strap kit, and centerboard shock cord (say bungee, they have no clue)... see what I mean? I have since fashioned a 1/4 inch line with a bowline, and a 24 inch off the shelf bungee, and it works better.

Back