First sailing adventure with my Sailfish

JerryP

Got about 3 hours sailing with the Sailfish yesterday, wind was light. Lots of fun, did not fall off of capsize sailing, I did roll it over once, using it as a paddleboard after the wind died off. It is a great paddleboard, faster than the kayaks.
I am really rusty at sailing, but I am sure it will come back after a little more time.
I like it as a paddleboard, I added a beach chair, for comfort and class

2EC9AB5C-AED6-4368-B455-CFE9E0F40F17.jpeg

E77C2699-64AA-4F19-B268-608AD92176FE.jpeg

Reactions: tag
I haven't sailed a Sailfish, but on a Sunfish, the sail would be rigged quite a bit lower, closer to the deck.

Nice sail color - a classic combo! Tag is right - you should get the sail closer to the deck. Up high like that it is harder to control and also helps heel the boat as it has more leverage high like that. To fix it, slide the halyard up the upper boom, til its at about the 9th sail clip from the tack (where the booms join.) That should be a good starting spot - you can refine it from there. I think clip 10 or 11 is a better spot, but starting at 9 should get you started. Wrap some electrical tape around the boom just above the halyard so the halyard does not slide further. Looks like you have a loose clip - not critical to fix but a good idea to snap it in place before it goes overboard.

Chair looks comfy!

Nice sail color - a classic combo! Tag is right - you should get the sail closer to the deck. Up high like that it is harder to control and also helps heel the boat as it has more leverage high like that. To fix it, slide the halyard up the upper boom, til its at about the 9th sail clip from the tack (where the booms join.) That should be a good starting spot - you can refine it from there. I think clip 10 or 11 is a better spot, but starting at 9 should get you started. Wrap some electrical tape around the boom just above the halyard so the halyard does not slide further. Looks like you have a loose clip - not critical to fix but a good idea to snap it in place before it goes overboard.

Chair looks comfy!
I thought it looked high, but it came that way so I rolled with it as is.
I will check the manual to see about proper sail setup.
With the chair, It is a great paddle board, comfortable, and a good bit faster than the kayaks
If I keep it, and like it as much as I am so far, I may make a mold and pour a foam and glass copy, for one with a trolling motor.

Back