First Sail!

dkorth

My dad and I took our 1990 Mod 1 for a short, first sail on Sunday. It was very light air, from nearly calm to small puffs, and sailed her under main only. Whenever the smaller puffs came up the boat responded well and gained speed rapidly. I'm sure the jib would have helped us move along at a brisker pace, but even under main it was a dream! The bummer is we are fast approaching winter up here, so our season will amount to only a couple outings; we'll be dreaming of the coming spring!

Has anyone installed a water-tight door in place of the teak cubby cover?

Thanks!

Dirk

Enjoyed reading your "first sail" report, Dirk. Sounded a lot like my first outing.

With no sailing experience, I had assumed that lack of wind would be a problem. But with this boat (and my level of experience), I very much prefer light winds for the moment, anyway.

Sorry I don't have any feedback on your question, but thanks for the report.

Stillwater, eh? A fellow Minnesotan.
What lake do you sail on? I keep mine on Calhoun in Minneapolis. I always thought it would be fun to go out on the St. Croix.

Hi Flounder -

Calhoun - I think I was going to look at your boat in Aug but the timing didn't work out. We found one up north that we no-doubt overpaid for, but it's still fun. Live and learn I guess.

We are going to be using it on a small lake in WI, but I intend to haul it around and sail it other places too. Once I get the hang of it, maybe on the St. Croix, when all the BABs are in their slips!

Cheers!

Heh

The boat that you were going to look at is probably the one that I bought! It worked out great because I live close by and wanted to keep it on that buoy.

What color is your boat? Any pics?

Back