First sail water in hull?

drjay44

Took my clone (AquaFinn) for a first sail. When I placed boat on trailer after 3 hour sail i opened the drain plug and a ton of water came out. Is this normal??

If not I'll call the manufacturer

Possibly a leak in the daggerboard trunk. Take glob of MarineTex and coat the bottom of the trunk as far in as you reach.

Was it empty when you started your sail? Wind speed? Passengers?

Empty at start. Right off showroom floor. myself and one other. Total weight a bit much at over 400 pounds. Not a lot of wind but a few waves washed over bow due to heavy 4th of July boat traffic

If the water was in the hull, that is not normal at all. Must be a manufacturing defect. I'd call the mfr and ask how they will take care of it.

The AquaFinn people are really nice to deal with, at least they've been with me. Finding the leak point is the main issue I'd think first. Then if it's a flaw, finding a reputable repair facility that AquaFinn people will honor under warrantee. I wasn't aware they sold them new "off a showroom" either. My impressions were you deal direct with them...unless you bought it from them at their facility. They're on the east coast and here's their website.
American Sail
EDIT.
If it took on THAT much water, you might leave the drain plug in and see where it might come out....as the boat is drying out sitting on the trailer....saving doing a leak test with pressure.

Last edited:
If your boat is new then don't mess with it, yo might void warranty. Talk to dealer or manufacturer.

Is there any chance you left a drain plug open when you took the boat out? Double check and try a second sail to see if you are still taking on water. No, not normal for a grqnd new boat unless it was pilot air on your part (no shame, been there, done that bought the tee shirt!)

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I have been in touch with American sail. Great people. Voiced concern and said he would make it right. Good customer service,

The Finn I purchased had been sitting in a hot Fl. warehouse for 2 years so he believes it is a matter of dried out caulking.

As "light and Variable" pointed out, daggerboard trunk

Dave at American suggests I take some silicone ad simply recaulk the area where the deck meets the hull at the daggerboard trunk .

He is pretty sure this is the issue. his other suggestion was possibly a dried out O ring at the rear drain plug but this checked out OK.

Aside from this glitch i am very happy with my Finn. Solidly built and a great option to a Sunfish for less money.

I cannot race in class but no intentions of racing so i am happy.

Those of you looking for an option to a new Sunfish (which from my search are not available) may want to look at American Sail.

Appreciate all het he replies to my post.

Nice bunch of people around here.

Will post a post caulking update this weekend.

Those of you looking for an option to a new Sunfish (which from my search are not available) may want to look at American Sail.
That is a nice looking boat. And lucky you... it's got a vertically oriented rudder. Finally!!
YouTube walk around video of the Aqua Finn here.

- Andy

Since the American Sail people want you to fix it. I would do an air test and the bubbles should get you to the section that needs to be addressed without guessing.

I sailed Aquafinns as a youth. I loved the rudder and its ability to use a line to pull it up. My Dad donated a bunch to Boy Scout camps when I was in high school. About 25 years later those boats were still being used. I saw them at camp so they hold up pretty well.

Since the American Sail people want you to fix it. I would do an air test and the bubbles should get you to the section that needs to be addressed without guessing.
Charles:

Not familiar with the test. Please elaborate. BTW: I imagine if I insisted on a professional repair I'd need to transport to somebody and wait for the work. I don't mind spending $5 on silicone if I can have it up and running in one day

The suggested test merely involves pressuring the hull slightly through the drain plug opening. Soapy water is brushed over the suspected leak(s), while watching for bubbles being formed at the site(s).

When silicone sealer is used, the site must be free of soap, so much vigorous rinsing is encouraged. Drying can be done with hair dryer, so all of this can be done in less than a day.

But since the manufacturer has suggested simply sealing with silicone sealer, anything additional goes against his instructions--and could complicate a warranty claim.

Back