First sail on my boat

pvansch1

I've sailed Lasers in the past, I bought a used one a few months ago. Put in many hours getting it back to looking good.
If all goes well, I'm hitting the water for the first sail of the season tomorrow, water is still a tad chilly so hopefully not a windy and wet day.
Two questions;
I have a Kitty Hawk trailer, is it easier to rig it on land on the trailer or in the water?
Also, will it float off the trailer without backing too far into the water as it has a very short tongue?
Thanks,
Pete

Here I am assuming you launch your boat from a ramp.
Rig your boat on the trailer, but don't tie the clew so that the boat won't get blown off the trailer as you move the trailer to the ramp. If the wind is very light (<5 mph) you may get away with tying the clew early on.
Depending on the wind direction and the ramp, you may be able to tie the clew while the boat is still on the trailer and the boat close to the water. But if that's not possible, you should secure the clew later with the boat in the water and you standing in the boat. Yes, that's a bit tricky; at least for me.

PS: I think I have seen others do this differently; they rig the sheet after the boat is launched and the boat head to wind.
PS#2: Launching from a beach is usually easier

It's from a ramp. Didn't make it out, iffy weather so I stayed off the water. There is a small area I can temporarily tie up to while I park the Jeep and trailer.
Gong to be a hot weekend coming up so I will definitely get out.

Back