First sail of the Capri - video

andycatts

Hey all!

I was finally able to get the Capri 14.2 out last weekend with my dad (who taught me to sail) and my kids, who have never been before. This is our first family boat, and I'm excited. It was everything I was hoping for! Got a little footage of the "action" (mostly my kids going nuts in the family-size cockpit) if you're so inclined:

First sail - youtube

Nice video. I love how your kids all seem to be having a great time. My own three kids spent Saturday fighting over who got to lay down on the cockpit seats and which lines they could tangle up the best. Then the 3 year old uncleated the outhaul in a big gust. I'm loving learning to sail along with the kids but there are times when I wish everyone would just sit still so we could think about what's going on with the boat.

Nice video. I love how your kids all seem to be having a great time. My own three kids spent Saturday fighting over who got to lay down on the cockpit seats and which lines they could tangle up the best. Then the 3 year old uncleated the outhaul in a big gust. I'm loving learning to sail along with the kids but there are times when I wish everyone would just sit still so we could think about what's going on with the boat.

Yeah, I had to restrain myself from getting flustered as my 3 & 5 year old wanted to constantly drop the jib & mainsheet in the drink. Luckily I had some spare line along that I clipped to the shrouds and let them go nuts!

Just watched this video, great soundtrack!!! LOL. I may buy a Capri 14.2 tomorrow, depends upon what shape she's in as I pull an inspection. Looks to be in decent shape overall, haven't seen the sails yet, and due to the limited pics available in the ad, I'm still trying to determine whether she's a Mod 1, Mod 2, or Mod 3. There must be a production timeline which distinguishes the Mods, I'll look into that next... but if she's good to go, I'll bag her for $400 including the trailer, though the trailer has never been tagged because it has been used solely on private property at a club. A club boat will have some wear & tear, but nothing I can't fix if necessary. One thing I don't like about these Capris is the lack of flotation in the hull, maybe I can add some two-part closed-cell foam if there are voids to fill, I'd like a bit of flotation if I'm gonna be sailing in Great White & Orca Country, LOL. The main reason I want this boat (or whatever other small craft I may buy) is to sail out of Westport, round that monster jetty and patrol the beach, particularly in warmer months (and hopefully with a hot date aboard). Might sail her elsewhere, but Westport is my first choice as a regular launching point, that little burg and its fishing fleet are just too cool. We'll see what happens, I'm still surfing the boat ads looking for a good deal... saw a primo little scow on a tagged trailer, everything in great shape, but the seller is asking $1200, which means I could probably get it for $900 or $1000, cash. The scow has less freeboard too, kinda like a serving tray for Great Whites & Orcas, LOL. :eek:

Nice video. It's funny to watch the kids tangle up the lines.

What's the name of the song you used for the soundtrack?

Back