First sail of 2015: Perfect temps; Perfect wind. Did my Sunfish get insulted?

Got out yesterday to Mission Bay in San Diego. My son has four GoPros and I have one. Had one on the mast looking aft, one on the boom looking forward, one on each of out heads, and a hand-held one for random shots. Needless to say I haven't had a chance to even watch the videos, but I pulled a few still shots.

Absolutely gorgeous day. Temps and wind were just right. We had a little bit of fog on one side of the bay but it didn't get very far inland.

Saw some Lasers racing as well as a few Sunfish. Saw a Moth, too but didn't get a picture of it.

I probably didn't need all three feet of the tiller extension with two people in the boat. The extra ballast meant that I didn't have to hike out very much.

A couple of firsts for me. the (old-style) rudder popped out and I had to fix it on the water. The other thing that happened was that I got told to "Get a real boat" from a group of five or six people in a power boat (or as my son referred to it: A car on the water). I feel like I've been initiated into a club.

Got out yesterday to Mission Bay in San Diego. My son has four GoPros and I have one. Had one on the mast looking aft, one on the boom looking forward, one on each of out heads, and a hand-held one for random shots. Needless to say I haven't had a chance to even watch the videos, but I pulled a few still shots.

Very cool. Can't wait to see the video! Thanks for sharing!!

I got told to "Get a real boat" from a group of five or six people in a power boat
Jerks. Put each of those 5 or 6 people in their own Sunfish, turn on the wind machine to 15 mph and we'll just see how they feel about "get a real boat" after 20 minutes. And if one of them survives, put em on a Moth. That will end the discussion.

BTW, your Sunfish looks very nice. Nice finish. But I do have a suggestion; I think you don't have quite enough GoPros. :)

Cheers,

- Andy

Four GoPros!?! I can hardly get around to editing the video down from my single old GoPro.
Glad you got to sail - looks like a great day on the water!

The other thing that happened was that I got told to "Get a real boat" from a group of five or six people in a power boat (or as my son referred to it: A car on the water). I feel like I've been initiated into a club.

any dope can pilot a motor boat, it takes skill to navigate with the wind as your power source!

As usual I thought of a few good comebacks.......10 minutes later. :)

While viewing the video footage I came across a picture of the Moth. It wasn't on its foils, though. Maybe not enough wind.

Back