First Minifish

apicinich

Hi, I recently got my first minifish which will be my first sailboat! It's a little beat up so fixing, painting and patching will be a must. Also looking into a minfish sail. It came with a sunfish sail so I'm going to measure the spars and see if they are sunfish or minfish spars as well. If they are sunfish spars, will the rigging change drastically? Should I look into minifish mast and spars? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Its going to be overpowered with a Sunfish sail. It might work ok in light winds, but it would be quite a handful otherwise! New sails ate just $140. Last time I checked.

the mast and spars are Sunfish dimensions, would it make sense to cut them down for the minifish? Or just keep them with sunfish length and still put a minifish sail on?

I wouldn’t cut them. You might find a Minifish rig one day, and you could then sell the larger Sunfish spars as whole.

I would rather not cut them as well, so would it still be okay if I rigged a minifish sail to the regular spars? It would probably just look a little too big

Since you need a Minifish sail I’d try to find sail and spars/mast together. They don’t come around often, but if you aren’t sailing til spring just keep an eye out and spread the word. If you find just a sail I wouldn’t hesitate to cut down the spars and mast if necessary.

Congrats on your new boat! Sail it and see how you like it. You might like the mast being 12 inches taller, and an extra 10 square feet of sail will be okay in lighter winds. If you are small, that might get to be a bit much in winds in the teens.

Cheers
Clark and Skipper

Back