Finishing up my 1983 Sunfish

norcalsail

Some may have seen Andy's video where I cracked my rudder cheek recently. My pivot bolt was really tight and I smacked the end of the tiller pretty hard. Intensity sent me a new one within a week (very fast I thought). I put the new one on less tight and used some vaseline for smoother operation and it works pretty well. I noticed that to drop the rudder it seemed to help raise the far end of the tiller before pushing it down rather than pushing it at a more horizontal angle. I have another cheek back ordered and will not try to raise or lower this way until the new cheek is here and I can take it with me. I'm still smarting that I ruined our run back to Marconi.

Thread starter #22
Very happy that i got my boat rigged up and everything worked today.
A coat or two of varnish on my daggerboard and this boat can see the water for what is probably its first use of the 21st century.

My one slight pet peeve was dirt and maybe stains on the sail. Any advice to get that out? Would laying it out on my driveway and using some detergent, a hose, and a brush work?

Thread starter #24
New problem :(

So the there is a leak at the seam under the aluminum trim.

I really don’t want to remove the trim, so option one here is just some flex seal over the trim and the edges that’ll probably hold just fine for the season.

How intensive is the real repair of taking off the trim? Really wanted to sail friday and was hoping not to be bothered with this

How do you know the leak is under the trim?

Removing and reinstalling the trim is easy. You just drill out the rivers, make the repair and pop rivet the trim back on with aluminum pop rivets. Rivets and rivet fun’s are available at Home Depot, Lowes. Etc. but first be sure the leak is where you think it is!

Thread starter #26
How do you know the leak is under the trim?

Removing and reinstalling the trim is easy. You just drill out the rivers, make the repair and pop rivet the trim back on with aluminum pop rivets. Rivets and rivet fun’s are available at Home Depot, Lowes. Etc. but first be sure the leak is where you think it is!
Blew air into the drain while the boat was wet and soapy, and it bubbled up along part of the trim.
Water also drains from there if the boat is tipped.

Well that proves it! When you take the trim off, I’d suggest widening the crack where the leak is - probably the deck and hull have slightly come apart. You can use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to just open the gap a bit, or sometimes you can work a cutoff hack saw blade in and use it to saw the crack a bit bigger. Then (if the boat is freshwater sailed) Jam a big screwdriver in to open the crack/gap up and let it dry overnight. If it’s saltwater sailed, squirt fresh water in before drying.

Then mix up some epoxy or polyester resin and work it in there (boat needs to be tipped so the resin will flow in) and then get the screwdriver out! Lightly clamp it (you don’t want to squeeze all the resin out) wait 24 hours and put the trim back on.

Thread starter #28
Well that proves it! When you take the trim off, I’d suggest widening the crack where the leak is - probably the deck and hull have slightly come apart. You can use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to just open the gap a bit, or sometimes you can work a cutoff hack saw blade in and use it to saw the crack a bit bigger. Then (if the boat is freshwater sailed) Jam a big screwdriver in to open the crack/gap up and let it dry overnight. If it’s saltwater sailed, squirt fresh water in before drying.

Then mix up some epoxy or polyester resin and work it in there (boat needs to be tipped so the resin will flow in) and then get the screwdriver out! Lightly clamp it (you don’t want to squeeze all the resin out) wait 24 hours and put the trim back on.
So i took my lazy route and there’s some nice flex seal that is drying currently. Should hold up fine for the season. Next off season I’ll repair it for real.