Finding Leaks Video

andyatos

Hi All,

Been very much impressed with how helpful everyone has been on this forum when it comes to helping new Laser owners... all the way up to more advanced sailing nuances. Have learned a lot here over the past week so I wanted to return the favor by shooting a video of how I found leaks for new folks that in turn will arrive at this forum.

My Background:
I grew up on the coast of Massachusetts, been sailing since I was a kid, owned a 470 for many years, have had an old Laser back there for some time that I enjoy sailing when I visit since I moved to California in 1987.

Bought a 1988 Laser a few days ago and took it for its Maiden Voyage yesterday. After a 2 hour sail, I was greeted with several inches of water inside the hull when I fished my keys out of the stowage bag that lives inside the circular access port. After pulling the Laser and trailer up the boat ramp I parked it where it was steep and removed the drain plug. Was shocked at how much water drained out. Gallons.

The Laser I now own was the previous owners first introduction to sailing. A nice guy but a few things he said indicated that he was still a bit inexperienced about things. One thing he had pointed out when we met was that he had recently replaced the auto bailer so that's where I investigated first.

Here's the video of what I found. And what I discovered about how to produce the best bubbles that uncover where leaks are lurking... for those of you who may be doing this kind of investigation for the first time.
https://vimeo.com/75155316

Cheers,

- Andy

Back