Finally got the boat out

dator643

Finally got my 1966 Sunfish out on the water last week and it was great! After doing some fiberglass repair, there wasn't a single drop of water inside. The only thing i had trouble with were the ropes, which I replaced after having to be towed by a boat due to a line breaking. Next summer I will be repainting this great little boat. Special thanks to sailcraftri for making this all possible I would recommend him as a resource for both knowledge and parts any day.

Glad to hear you had a good first sail. Happy sailing!
All thanks to you! I will have to check back with you next summer for a dagger board....I sort of hit a sneaky rock haha. All the parts fit perfectly even the botom mast cap we were worried about since it is a Phantom mast. If anyone is wondering Phantom masts are horrible without a bottom cap. They are plugged with cork so any water in the mast tube will absorb into the mast itself. I had to drill drain holes in the block of cork before capping it. Luckily there was probably only a half of a gallon in there. I will have to get a rudder arm extension next year too, reaching way back is slightly difficult in high winds.

Glad you enjoyed the sail. The first time I sailed a Sunfish was in 1972 and thinking about it now brings back good memories of good times and good friends.

19140015.jpg

The ducks seem to have loved nibbling on my sail strings. :D

Reactions: tag
Glad you enjoyed the sail. The first time I sailed a Sunfish was in 1972 and thinking about it now brings back good memories of good times and good friends.
Well luckily this wasn't my first time out. Being an Eagle Scout, I took a sailing class at camp 3 or 4 years ago. Those boats were probably just as old, at least the one I used didn't have a storage compartment. Man i felt sorry for those boats. Cracks and leaks all over.

Yes, boats can be sad considering how some can be neglected after just a few sailings.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the ducks, it's very nice.

Your fish looks great and I'm happy that you are enjoying it. You sail is very nice looking. I was out that same late afternoon and evening, sailing in moonlight before having to paddle back in at the lee shore where the boat ramp is located. If there is wind, I love sailing at dusk. Those ducklings are precious.

Back