What's new

Finally bought a Sunfish - now the work starts

aborgman

Now the work starts... repairing the Sunfish, and improving my sailing skills up to the level of "semi-coordinated 5 year old who has never been in a boat before".

241011814_6040052389369621_6143567814518842836_n.jpg
240837837_3954901044615305_8433569117374879517_n.jpg

1974 Sunfish on a trailer for $200, basically complete.

The good:
Everything is there
Rudder and daggerboard in good condition
Daggerboard trunk looks good, and mast step seems to have no leaks in a short leak test
Hull and deck in good shape - only a few small fiberglass fixes needed

The not so good:
It's waterlogged... I'm guessing at least 200lbs+
There is a loose foam block
Needs new lines and bridle
Sail is in bad shape(and repaired with duct tape)

The odd:
Depersia metal bailer
Spoon tip daggerboard

Of course - I didn't let any of that stop me from taking it out on the water. Improvise a mainsheet out of some polypro I had hanging around (only about 18') and lets go.

The first day went ok - horrible tacks, and a couple almost capsizes. The next day I went out again, and the wind was less cooperative. It was swinging from North to West, and varying in speed/gusting. Even worse tacks, and actually managed to capsize it - in front of an island of pontoon boats with about 100 people watching.

I think being the boat being overweight with a rolling around saturated foam block didn't help, and me being really bad at sailing was the final nail in the coffin.

Managed to get it back up no problem... then spent 10 minutes trying to re-rig the mainsheet (oops, no stopper knot).

She's sitting upside down now on some supports, wrapped in black landscaping fabric, to try to get some water out.

Just ordered inspection ports and some new lines to try to get her dried out.

aborgman

Another "MC" Sunfish. Great to see another Michigander on a Sunfish. What lakes do you sail?
I wouldn't go so far as to call what I do "sailing"...

Grew up in Muskegon (well, Norton Shores) and sailed occasionally on Muskegon Lake 30+ years ago.

Picked up this Sunfish after 30+ years of no sailing to use at our cottage on Cranberry Lake in Harrison (Clare County).

That would be the Cranberry Lake next to Budd Lake (44.058271756008885, -84.74328956387117)

...as opposed to the Cranberry Lake near the Clam River (44.16336395779166, -84.97815094049899), or the Cranberry Lake off 10 by the Mystic River YMCA camp (43.883024135475914, -85.03902852047928).

Yes... there really are THREE Cranberry Lakes in Clare County.

tag

my2fish
Funny/crazy story about Muskegon Lake… I sailed that lake one Father’s Day a few years ago. After I finished sailing and was driving back to our campsite, I called my father to tell him “happy Father’s Day” - and that’s when he told me about the time when he was growing up (1950’s or so) and his dad, my grandpa, would go fishing in the early spring. They lived near Scottville and Ludington, but that early spring day my grandpa drove down to fish on Muskegon Lake.
So as my grandpa paddled his boat along and was fishing, he found a dead body floating in the lake. I think my dad said grandpa towed/dragged it to shore and then drove into town to get the police to come investigate. They figured it was likely an ice fisherman that fell through the ice and drowned.

I haven’t sailed there since!

aborgman

Funny/crazy story about Muskegon Lake… I sailed that lake one Father’s Day a few years ago. After I finished sailing and was driving back to our campsite, I called my father to tell him “happy Father’s Day” - and that’s when he told me about the time when he was growing up (1950’s or so) and his dad, my grandpa, would go fishing in the early spring. They lived near Scottville and Ludington, but that early spring day my grandpa drove down to fish on Muskegon Lake.
So as my grandpa paddled his boat along and was fishing, he found a dead body floating in the lake. I think my dad said grandpa towed/dragged it to shore and then drove into town to get the police to come investigate. They figured it was likely an ice fisherman that fell through the ice and drowned.

I haven’t sailed there since!
One of my dad's co-workers found a body while fishing in Muskegon Lake...

beldar boathead

….. She's sitting upside down now on some supports, wrapped in black landscaping fabric, to try to get some water out….

If there are not any inspection ports, this isn’t going to help much. Not much airflow thru the little drain holes.

aborgman

….. She's sitting upside down now on some supports, wrapped in black landscaping fabric, to try to get some water out….

If there are not any inspection ports, this isn’t going to help much. Not much airflow thru the little drain holes.
Yeah, I don't expect it to help a lot - but since it was going to be sitting for a couple weeks before I get a chance to cut the ports, it seemed like it might help a little and couldn't hurt any.

Weston

One of my dad's co-workers found a body while fishing in Muskegon Lake...
Yikes. Two bodies!!
My wife and I sailed our 71 Sunfish (Ruby) on Muskegon Lake four years ago late September and discovered the ferry boat that goes between Muskegon and Chicago. It creates a massive wake. The two of us were sailing and all the sudden her face turned white as she’s looking aft at the big wake coming at us. Fortunately that gave me time to adjust our direction so as not to be capsized by that massive wake. Otherwise, we had a great time sailing Muskegon Lake. No bodies discovered.

Reactions: tag

Weston

I wouldn't go so far as to call what I do "sailing"...

Grew up in Muskegon (well, Norton Shores) and sailed occasionally on Muskegon Lake 30+ years ago.

Picked up this Sunfish after 30+ years of no sailing to use at our cottage on Cranberry Lake in Harrison (Clare County).

That would be the Cranberry Lake next to Budd Lake (44.058271756008885, -84.74328956387117)

...as opposed to the Cranberry Lake near the Clam River (44.16336395779166, -84.97815094049899), or the Cranberry Lake off 10 by the Mystic River YMCA camp (43.883024135475914, -85.03902852047928).

Yes... there really are THREE Cranberry Lakes in Clare County.
And another Cranberry Lake in White Lake Township. (42.6560300, -83.4809120). Your Cranberry Lake is about a mile long. With the prevailing westerlies in Michigan, you should have perfect wind for long N/S reaches most of the time.

Reactions: tag

aborgman

Yikes. Two bodies!!
I also know of a number of other bodies pulled out of Muskegon Lake - just not by folks fishing. The father of one of my HS girlfriends ran the dive rescue team for the county. It mostly involved pulling dead bodies.

My wife and I sailed our 71 Sunfish (Ruby) on Muskegon Lake four years ago late September and discovered the ferry boat that goes between Muskegon and Chicago. It creates a massive wake. The two of us were sailing and all the sudden her face turned white as she’s looking aft at the big wake coming at us. Fortunately that gave me time to adjust our direction so as not to be capsized by that massive wake. Otherwise, we had a great time sailing Muskegon Lake. No bodies discovered.
Ice fishing on the lake when the coal freighters would come in to fuel the BC Cobb plant was always fun....

aborgman

And another Cranberry Lake in White Lake Township. (42.6560300, -83.4809120). Your Cranberry Lake is about a mile long. With the prevailing westerlies in Michigan, you should have perfect wind for long N/S reaches most of the time.
Somewhere between 30 and 40 Cranberry Lakes in Michigan - Alcona, Alger, Arenac, Cass, Chippewa, Clare (x3), Iron, Jackson(x2), Kalkaska, Lapeer(x2), Livingston, Luce (x2), Mackinac(x2), Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Montcalm, Montmorency, Oakland (x4), Ogemaw(x3), Ottawa, Schoolcraft, Washtenaw.