Field Trip to LP Rhode Island!

Rob B

Thread starter #21
I would agree with aspects and disagree with other aspects. Maybe business operates differently in the UK from in the US.

From my experience, if your supplier is letting you down you need to correct the problem. Going public and adding to rumours will neither resolve the problem nor help your reputation. In practice, if a retailer cannot supply everybody will be aware that they are having problems getting the stock so it would only reflect on any individual supplier when they are unable to fulfil orders whilst others have plenty of stock.

Customers "sending bullets" hopefully does not reflect on US gun laws (a source of amazement to us here in Europe) but rather refers to customers getting angry with a retailer. When a customer starts giving a retailer grief about supply problems it is normally a sign of frustration and if the retailer cannot get stock then they will normally say why - but that is different from going on a public forum and being critical of your supplier.

As you say, LP is unlikely to cut of APS but were a major retailer to start being making public announcements about supply problems (maybe adding to any problems the manufacturer may be in), come next price/discount change they might not get the same margins as before (not as "punishment" but more because of how they show they "work with you").

I agree that most companies in LP's position would make some sort of statement about any supply problems - but with us they have a mostly tied-in customer base. I would make sense for them to quell any rumours starting but then they have never been the most communicative of companies (maybe again because in the Laser they have a massive customer base who have little choice about supplier).

I guess there could be many underling reasons for supply problems. Is it particular types of components or everything ? Did Vanguard keep very bid stocks and LP have changed to a "Just Nowhere Near In Time" system. Are their personnel issues (e.g. somebody leaves in purchasing and the stand-in never gets orders to manufacturers by deadlines, etc.). Again, some sort of announcement would help massively but they [LP] do seem to have their heads very high in the clouds and don't give the impression of being customer focused.

Ian
My wife and I own a mens/womens clothing store. From my experience, (which covers everything from the manufacturing floor to the front line) when goods are missing or orders don't come in the initial reaction from our customer, (the end user) is why can't YOU get me what I want. To protect our reputation we have to reveal a supplier issue when one exists and fall on our swords when the screw up is from our end.

With the Laser issue it is different because of the class rules there is a captive audience and we are completely limited to where we can go for our "class approved", (insert non-class approved products argument here) stuff. Which, by the way totally goes against free market trade, but that's another argument.

The phrase is "taking bullets". It means you are getting hammered trying to protect someone/something. I also hate the lack of US gun regulations.

Sure. APS does not have to, (and probably should not) make public announcments regarding THEIR issues w/LP if any exist. Again, this goes back to the captive audience thing, but I would not blame them if they did and given their reputation I don't think anyone else, (at least in the US would either). We do tend to talk about stuff here and in the South we put our nuttiest relatives on the front porch for everyone to see, bless their little hearts, (the suthern phrase used following any personal insult to make it ok. Like. "Poor LP just can't seem to get their S... together. Bless their little hearts.")

Maybe it is an english thing, (not to get into an english vs. u.s. thing, but since you brought up the gun reference) to not communicate and ride the boat all the way to the bottom before acknowledging there's a hole in the ship. However, the frustrations are getting awful and beyond repair.

Eric_R

D10 Secretary
When you see that most laser parts were backordered on APS's site, you can tell there's a supply issue.

Dealers weren't going to lie to their customers saying that they can get stuff, they didn't know when parts would come in.

...The phrase is "taking bullets". It means you are getting hammered trying to protect someone/something. I also hate the lack of US gun regulations. ...
Not to hijack this thread, but here in the US, there are over 20,000 laws regarding the manufacture/distribution/purchase/ownership of guns. There is no "lack of US gun regulations" - sorry, Rob.

Yes, we have many more freedoms (and usually lower crime) as far as ownership of firearms goes compared to most of Europe (and the rest of the world, really.)

[/HIJACK]

torrid

Just sailing
There is nothing wrong with a business privately telling a customer, "Sorry, I don't have the parts you want. They've been backordered from the supplier for weeks. To tell you the truth, there are many things they have not been delivering. I'm concerned about the finanical health of their company." This sort of candor is necessary in running a business.

I think it would be far different to get on the internet and start mouthing off "My vendor is screwing me! They haven't given me any parts in week, and my customers are running away! They deserve to go out of business!". THIS is the sort of thing I have seen in business before, where people shoot their mouth off and nothing gets accomplished. Feelings get hurt, and there is no room to resolve problems at a later date.

This being said, it is common knowledge among anybody trying to buy Laser parts that LP is in some sort of financial bind. Given the tight-knit nature of the Laser community and the mutual dependence between the class and the builder, I think some sort of explanation is due to the class membership.

All we have to go on right now is hearsay, and everyone is sweating bullets (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Rob B

Thread starter #25
Given the tight-knit nature of the Laser community and the mutual dependence between the class and the builder, I think some sort of explanation is due to the class membership.
Well said Torrid!!!

LaserPerformance? LaserPerformance??? Buehler? Farris Buehler???

LP is waiting for all current stock including boats are gone so they can bring out all the replacement goods being made in South Africa.

Rob B

Thread starter #28
LP is waiting for all current stock including boats are gone so they can bring out all the replacement goods being made in South Africa.
So they are no longer building boats in the US at the Rhode Island facility? Is that just going to be a warehouse?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Tests on the replacement goods will be conducted in the now empty soccer (football to the Brits) stadiums (remember the World Cup?) that will be flooded. Should be quite a sight.

torrid

Just sailing
OK folks, enough time online. It's October, the weather's cooled down, so go out and sail your Lasers. I've got a feeling it's going to be a long winter.

Wayne

Member Emeritus
[lumpy] LP is waiting for all current stock including boats are gone so they can bring out all the replacement goods being made in South Africa.

[49208] I read it on the internet, it must be true...

[lumpy] LP is waiting for all current stock including boats are gone so they can bring out all the replacement goods being made in China. [torrid] Fixed

[Wavedancer] Tests on the replacement goods will be conducted in the now empty soccer (football to the Brits) stadiums (remember the World Cup?) that will be flooded. Should be quite a sight.

Hmmm..., credibility appears to have gone right out the window... :rolleyes:

Back to the original proposal, Field Trip to LP Rhode Island!. Anybody game to drop by on Sunday and shoot some pictures through the windows?

. . . it's what's inside that counts. ;)

Seeing that the factory is busy/not busy and has/doesn't have supplier parts (spars/blades/sails/hardware) on hand, IMHO won't really tell us much of anything that we don't already know or help us with the real problem which is:

Class legal parts from our builder are damn hard to come by and have been for some time now.

I would hope this should be something that our class elected officials can speak to.

Here at GER: I have in stock: 2 unused, folded Laser Standard sails !CLASS LEGAL! "made by "Hyde" / with "ILCA sticker" for 350,- € plus shipping costs to sell (related to that: at GER's offcial main Laser store it costs 390,- € plus sh.costs). Nobody wants to buy ... The same situation for an unused, common "Original Builder Supplied" Laser centerboard (UK-language: "daggerboard"), 1 rolled "Hyde" Sail (Standard) sailed: 3 times etc. etc. It seems to me: Somebody (me) sails at the wrong continent, does he? :)

Cheers...
LooserLu

P.S. At GER for years: At the "Guarantee Certificate" (= "Declaration and Warranty") for about many years at Laser you may find this responsible adress for the "shipyard" = Performance Sailcraft Europe Ltd. (aka:"LaserPerformance"):

"6 Riverside, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX 16 8TL, UK".

If one do use "Google-maps" satellite images or Google's "Street View" or Bing's satellite images.... what do you find???? -> Old W A R E H O U S E S / S T O R A G E H O U S E S, without any hint to LP!!! So, for me: "LP"/"PSE" perhaps does play a "game of hiding"? A backyard-company / "post-box company", perhaps? Does a backyard company of UK rules the American and European market of production for the very honoured Laser, the Olympic open singlehanded sailboat ... (and Sunfish sail boat)?
Please, may somebody resolve this issue for me, thanks. (Yes, I know the main Laser Store of UK is at "Long Buckby..." (but, what is it all about this dubiuos adress, above, mentioned at the papers for the purchaser of a Laser, made by "LP" ))