Fiddling with the boom angle.

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
I have been fiddling with the boom angle of my Omega while racing other boats. What I seemed to find out this weekend was that I may have had it in too close in the past. I beat with the boom outside the corner of the transom, something I had never done before, and the boat moved very well. I know the boom angle doesn't reflect exactly what the angle of attack of the sail is (and that is more important), but I think I have increased my optimum performance close-hauled by freeing it up. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I have been fiddling with the boom angle of my Omega while racing other boats. What I seemed to find out this weekend was that I may have had it in too close in the past. I beat with the boom outside the corner of the transom, something I had never done before, and the boat moved very well. I know the boom angle doesn't reflect exactly what the angle of attack of the sail is (and that is more important), but I think I have increased my optimum performance close-hauled by freeing it up. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have had to learn the best sail angles on my omega myself. It sails quite diffrently from my cat 25. I have installed red @ green tattletails on the main sail. One above the batten and the other just below the battens. Getting them both streaming straight back like on other boats seems to work pretty good. I also added a pair on the leading edge of the jib back about eight inches. I have also put the ribbons on both shrouds for wind direction. "The book" says to let the main out until it luffs and then pull it back in just enough to stop it fron luffing. The jib will tend to backwind the main sail if it is too tight. I have heard lots of people say that they never sail with the boom out past the rub rail. If they never sail off wind that might work, but not always. Controll of your outhaul and vang can give bettert performance gains, depending on wind speed. Charley

Back