Fiberglass Sailfish Restoration

I've got a question about dewaxing... Should I de-wax before and after I sand or just before? I'm going to pick up some 202 from West Marine tomorrow

IMG_20200616_144854.jpg
IMG_20200616_144905.jpg
IMG_20200616_144914.jpg
IMG_20200616_151512.jpg
IMG_20200616_151520.jpg
IMG_20200616_152744.jpg

Forecast is calling for a week of scattered thunderstorms; I was able to finish the resin patch today, though.

What type of de-waxer would you recommend for the fiberglass AND gelcoat (most of the surface is gelcoat, some is bare fiberglass and a fraction of the bare spots will be filled with a filler prior to priming)
Also I've been using 320 grit in between primes and paint finishes- then it gets a quick wipe with acetone before the next coat of paint gets applied... Is this adequate?

"DEWAXER?!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING DEWAXER!!!" :eek:

Sander & acetone bath, aye? Works for me when I prep hulls to prime. Remember what those other hands told ya, don't go sanding off the gelcoat if ya can help it, better to leave existing gelcoat in place for protection, and address those areas where gelcoat is MIA if necessary (prior to priming). :(

I'm kinda catching up to this thread, and it seems like your first attempt to restore a boat, but I want you to know you're doing fine... you're clearly motivated to get the job done, just remember that this sort of restoration usually involves a number of steps, it doesn't magically happen overnight. :rolleyes:

So don't be impatient, just keep knocking out steps until you've reached that final glorious moment where ya know you're ready to take the boat sailing and have a good time, yeah? You're not there yet, but patience is a virtue, just deal with it and you'll soon be victorious, LOL. :cool:

Now, I probably would've used more glass matt & cloth in that repair of the stern quarter, but what you have should be alright unless you're planning on circumnavigating the globe. I probably would've used different tape in that repair as well, but sanding/acetone will always get rid of duct tape residue, LOL. ;)

As for everything else, you're doing just fine, but ya might wanna find some sail repair tape or some circular adhesive patches for that hole you mentioned in the sail, and do both sides for strength, you don't want any hole, rip or tear in any sail to get worse under way in a stiff breeze, aye? So deal with that before you sail... :confused:

P.S. Have you chosen a name for this boat of yours? Didn't look like anyone already christened her, so I reckon that'll be up to you... every skipper has this choice to make if the boat has NOT already been christened, and some don't care, they'll rename her anyway, and to hell with the supposed curse, LOL. :D

"DEWAXER?!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING DEWAXER!!!" :eek:

Sander & acetone bath, aye? Works for me when I prep hulls to prime. Remember what those other hands told ya, don't go sanding off the gelcoat if ya can help it, better to leave existing gelcoat in place for protection, and address those areas where gelcoat is MIA if necessary (prior to priming). :(

I'm kinda catching up to this thread, and it seems like your first attempt to restore a boat, but I want you to know you're doing fine... you're clearly motivated to get the job done, just remember that this sort of restoration usually involves a number of steps, it doesn't magically happen overnight. :rolleyes:

So don't be impatient, just keep knocking out steps until you've reached that final glorious moment where ya know you're ready to take the boat sailing and have a good time, yeah? You're not there yet, but patience is a virtue, just deal with it and you'll soon be victorious, LOL. :cool:

Now, I probably would've used more glass matt & cloth in that repair of the stern quarter, but what you have should be alright unless you're planning on circumnavigating the globe. I probably would've used different tape in that repair as well, but sanding/acetone will always get rid of duct tape residue, LOL. ;)

As for everything else, you're doing just fine, but ya might wanna find some sail repair tape or some circular adhesive patches for that hole you mentioned in the sail, and do both sides for strength, you don't want any hole, rip or tear in any sail to get worse under way in a stiff breeze, aye? So deal with that before you sail... :confused:

P.S. Have you chosen a name for this boat of yours? Didn't look like anyone already christened her, so I reckon that'll be up to you... every skipper has this choice to make if the boat has NOT already been christened, and some don't care, they'll rename her anyway, and to hell with the supposed curse, LOL. :D
No name yet, I might go for Stella though; E
Estelle was my grandmother's name

Read the instructions for whatever products you are using. Acetone might be good for one thing, other products have their own proprietary thinners, cleaners, special brushing liquid, mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, etc....If you mix the wrong stuff and have residue, you'll be back tracking several steps when your primer or gelcoat or paint curdles.

Listen to SC, his advice is good, whereas my drunken bravado comes in second, LOL. SC is good, SC is wise... :cool:

I'm old school, so I'd usually sand down to glass, which would then only need an acetone bath... I'm also big on priming & painting, and huffing all those paint fumes over the years will definitely kill a few brain cells, LOL. ;)

Back