Fiberglass repair question

macwas16

Hi,

I'm repairing a friends boat and it has problems, big ones. In the pictures below you'll see what I mean. Any suggestions for the hull to deck hole? I was thinking about grinding it all out and laying fiberglass over it. You think that'll do it?? And also, he doesn't like the color of the epoxy and wanted to know if there was anyway I could add white paint into the mixture. Has anyone done this before or does anyone have any suggestions??

laser1.jpg

laser2.jpg

laser3.jpg

Thanks!

Ouch!

I'm not sure what the best repair for the hull-deck joint is. My guess is grind back to good glass and build-up a new rolled edge. I'd probably try and use a dowel or something similar as a crude mold for the underside. I rebuilt a smashed rear corner last winter pretty much that way, and it's held up to a full year of multi-user club sailing all year (so far...). I'll be interested in hearing what others suggest.

As for coloring the epoxy - I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You'll almost certainly be grinding and sanding the repaired area after the layup, so you'll want to put a coating over the repair afterwards no mater what. WEST does sell a white coloring for their epoxy; it's intended for the same reason you often tint the primer before painting - to get better coverage with the final color-coat.

This should be interesting! Please post any "during" and "after" shots.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

Back