Fiberglass repair question

G

gilbert

When I washed the storage compartment of my newly purchased used 1976 Sunfish this weekend, I noticed some strands of fiberglass hanging down. I'm guessing I need to reglass it before I take it out and get it soaked. Any suggestions on the easiest way to repair it without taking it to a professional?

Thanks!

Hey Gilbert,

The top of the storage compartment isn't finished with gelcoat. That said, you shouldn't really see fiberglass strands hanging down either. Examine the area well with flashlight to make sure you don't have any areas where water can gain access to the inner inner hull. If not, splash and go have fun. BTW, SF sink pretty slowly if you do have leak.

Gilbert,

My 71 Sunfish looks this way too. Don't you see a sealant squeezing out from where the compartment meets the underside of the deck? I really don't think you have a problem here.

Regards,

Al Courtines

I'm not referring to the outer gelcoat surface of the boat, but the yellowish looking material that makes up the "ceiling" if you will, of the storage compartment. It looks like fiberglass insulation. In other areas of the boat (the underneath sections of the main compartment), there is the same material but it's coated with an almost clear, hard material... maybe a fiberglass resin?

When I washed the boat the other day, I noticed strands hanging down from the "ceiling". Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm more concerned with it absorbing water and making the boat heavier, less concerned with it actually sinking.

Thanks again.

Hi Gilbert,
You are correct these strands you see are the actual fiberglass material. Yes, water can wick into the core of laminate and give you problems, no you are not going to sink right away, the water would have to make direct contact for a long time fo you to see any substantial weight gain.

The easy way to correct this is with a coat of resin of gelcoat, scuff the area by hand with some rough paper and brush or roll on until sealed. If you use gelcoat, it is best to add wax to the mix if you don't you'll have to wipe it down with acetone after it dries to remove the stickyness.

terra firma is for farmers
jeff

gilbert said:
When I washed the storage compartment of my newly purchased used 1976 Sunfish this weekend, I noticed some strands of fiberglass hanging down. I'm guessing I need to reglass it before I take it out and get it soaked. Any suggestions on the easiest way to repair it without taking it to a professional?

Thanks!

Geeze - the boat is nearly 30 years old. This is the least of your problems. What you describe is not a fault, it is a design feature. The Sunfish is a cheap boat so the manufacturers didn't bother to gelcoat this part which normally never gets wet and is never seen.

Old Geezer's comments are what I find so interesting about forums like this. People's opinions as varied as the pride they take in their equipment. I personally take great strides to maintain my equipment to the highest standards that I'm capable of. It's a real kick to see someone else do the same. I guess it goes back to my days of drag racing--it's the boys who notice the fast cars--but the girls notice the good-looking ones.

terra firma is for farmers
jeff

Old Geezer said:
Yeah - a Sunfish with a shiny bottom is a real chick magnet.

Guess I will be off to the store to buy more of that expensive (1000/1200/1600) wet/dry sandpaper...

Wavedancer

Back