Fiberglass repair by autobody shop

looks bad but i have seen and fixed worse.you "can" go to an autobody shop providing they know how to fix it.1st off they will have to make the hole much bigger than it is and then feather the edges to lay the glass.what i would do then is lay something in the hole so that when u start glassing it wont sag to much.(wet fiberglass will sag into a hole some) a little sag is ok then u can use some filler or apply more fiberglass to the area to slightly build it up some.I like a little sag, this ensures me that the glass has room to build up and look original and strong. then sand and shape it.you can do it yourself if u feel confident. but u will need to work fast with the glass because the resin sets real quick.unless your auto shop can do gel coat too this will,be your best option. for more learning skill is fiberglassing and fixing a hole in a boat try doing a search on "youtube" for it.I know for a fact you can learn how to do it there.

Benjamin,

this looks to be too much for auto shop, I've had auto repair process add significant weight to my boat. If you are near OH I can recommend someone.

Mike G

In Iowa City. The one repair shop I know of burned their bridge. I'm not happy with the idea of an auto-body shop at all, and I've had one refuse to touch it, advising me that "autobody shops have no idea the proper way to do fiberglass BOAT repair."
I think I'll take his advice.
A few club members claim they have the experience and could do it. Volunteerism never solves this kinda problem though; never timely, in my opinion, and never finisht.

Back