Few questions - Gill sailing chronograph

Dutchlaser

I have used a casio watch for 7 years now and i liked it very much, but i had to be repaired quite a lot. I was looking at the local jewelery store for a new casio, but they didn't even have the new collection....

So the search began for a new watch and I find it quite hard to judge the watches by reading the specs only.

So I saw this Gill chronograph on a nautic shop.
From older posts I have read that it has analog and digital.

Someone has experiences with this watch? Please tell me.

Some questions
-Does it beep every minute, and in the last 10 seconds?
-Is there an option to get to 4 minutes quickly in case you missed the 5 min signal?

are you looking for a sailing only watch or a watch you can wear around everywhere and not look like a fool. If you are looking for a sailing only watch go with the ronstan clear start timer, it has all of the functions you are looking for and more, and it has a big clear display, and you can attach it to your mast/boom wherever if you dont want to wear it. If you are looking for a everyday watch the gill looks like the way to go, but Im not really sure on the features

hi dutchlaser, i have had one for 4 months now and i like it, it's kind of bulky to wear as a everyday watch( too thick) but works very well. watch out for the screws that hold the band on, mine came loose and fell off the first time i used it, but west marine replaced the whole watch with no hassel.it has a nice light and the digital numbers are nice and big. my only complaint is that the buttons to cycle through the functions are kind of small and hard to operate with gloves on. the start button is bigger and works better but to get back to the 4 min display you have to use one of the smaller buttons on the oposite side and you have to cycle through every display to get back to the 4 min mark. other than that i'd say get one, it's a pretty good price for a functional timer.....terry:D

I have a Gill sailing watch, but it doesn't have a start button that is different from the others. I have the same problems. The screws holding the band on come off periodically. I've placed a tiny screwdriver in my tool box to tighten them (note to self--tighten screws on watchband). Also, the start button doesn't always catch the first time around, even without a gloved finger. These are problems I might be able to have repaired, but they evidently are a quality control problem. I'm a slacker, too. I've lived with it so far. When the 4 minute sounds at the RC boat, I just note the time and subtract those seconds from my sequence.

The watch, of course, is too big for me to wear everyday, and I think it would be so for most men, too. You do have to push a couple of buttons to get to the 4 min sequence. It beeps on the minute for the first 4 minutes, then at 30 seconds, then a 10 second countdown. It has 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, and maybe 15 minute sequences. The numbers are easy to read. It has a bunch of other functions that I never use, but seem to be pretty easy to use.

I won one a few years ago, and for a free watch it's been great-I've had the same problem with the start button though- sometimes you hit it and it beeps, but doesn't actually begin the countdown. Also, for a few weeks it would reset the clock to 0:00 randomly- it's stopped now, but that was annoying. Oherwise, it's fine

I've got the watch, haven't had any problems with it at all, it's worked out perfect for me. Not the most visually attractive watch, but I'll leave it on my wrist for the the off water activities. Would definatley reccomend it.

I have been using the Ronstan clear start. I have enjoyed the large display, abillity to read it off the mast and the large buttons it touts. But there are also some complaints about the lady killer. Of course mounting it on the mast, the mast swivels back and forth and makes it complicated when it comes to reading it on a reach on port tack. You get use to changing its direction all the time to see the time. I am use to sailing on J24's and 22's and love having the tack tick on the mast. This is why I was cool with this idea. Also because it is on the mast, I have to sit very far forward waiting for the 5 minute signal to press the big start button. Once you get past these two issues you can really start to enjoy this timer. It can also be set to 5 or 3 minutes sequences and has all the audibles you are looking for. Im not too sure about picking up the ladies while wearing the watch though...

Check sailinganarchy.com and search on watches. That'll keep you busy for days. General concensus over there is to stay away from the Gill. Most recommendations are for casio and timex ironman for cheap, and suunto for a little more, citizen for a little more, etc, etc, etc.

The Suunto M3 is sweet. It is a little expensive ($200 on several sites) but it does the job. The best part is that it has a sync button that can be set to go to the nearest minute up or down, or to always go the nearest minute down. It seems to work well, is easy to read, and can be worn off the boat without looking like a complete dork, although it is no dress watch. It is a huge upgrade from the previous Suunto sailing watches.

Check sailinganarchy.com and search on watches.

Yea I've been visiting some other good, mostly US, sites, but many watches are not available here in holland, or for sky high prices..
They don't even have the full casio collection here

Suunto are nice but $$$. Go for the Ronstan, huge numbers and it is loud compared to other watches.

Thought that it was a bit bulky at first but now don't even notice it on as it never gets in the way

Tip: wrap a couple of layers of black electrical tape around the black split holder, it will prevent the possibility of the watch mechanism poping out, but still allow it to be rotated

i have the timex ironman and i love it, plus if you lose it its not a huge loss like the gill is, i have tried the gill watch on and i find it very heavy.

Back