Fastest Way to Fitness and Basic Skills

mike s

I know this has been covered before, but I am too lazy to spend a bunch of time searching around for it, plus I doubt my specifics would be covered anyway. I am old (64) and a bit overweight. I purchased a Radial about 2 years ago and have sailed it in light winds a bit.

I have decided to get serious about this; I don't care too much about winning, but would like to be some where in the mid pack. Doing it more for the social aspect than the competitive aspect. I have an extensive background in high wind sailboarding so I am not totally unfamiliar with sailing.

My questions are what methods have others used to drop 20-30 pounds and get fit for sailing and other than just "diving" in what books or dvds/cd-roms are good resources?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike...welcome

Overweight and not as young as you used to be..........ahhhh my area of expertise i think.

First...dont overdo it...start slowly with the obvious..reduce the amount you eat and gradually the amount of excercise you do.

If you jump in with a sudden fitness regime you'll pull something and spend the next 6 months on shore, so find something to do that is low impact. Lots of people will tell you to go running....great if you're 25 but your knees and hips will complain very quickly....i find swimming and cycling work for me.

Swimming is zero impact and wont hurt your creaking bits. it builds flexability and strength in your joints. (you'll need the practise as well if you've start racing Lasers :) ) find a suitable slot at your local pool (there are often early sessions available) and go twice a week at least. make it a routine.

Cycling gets you fit quickly and , again, won't impact your joints. Find a suitable circuit (about 45 mins) and do it every day.....dont go mad....if it hurts, stop....build gradually and dont push your body.......after a couple of weeks you'll be going twice as far in that time.....go cycling whatever the weather, I find that a lot of the clothing that i've bought for sailing is really useful for wet weather cycling.

I'm sure people will be along soon with recommendations for different books and DVD's...watch them all...its great fun and i'm sure that you'll pick up lots of tips and tricks, but the only effective way forward is time in the boat. Take every opportunity to sail. find someone who seems to know what they're doing and follow them. watch what they do, talk to them.

Enjoy

Paul

I was gonna write a book, but it was only one page. And I don't always follow my own rules!

There were three of them.

• Weigh yourself every morning
  • Get off your ass (45 mins of running, or 90 minutes of cycling 4 days a week)
  • Quit eating crap (No sugar, no Friday night whiskey, no Doritos)

It works when I follow it. Right now I'm 10 over my target. I was 30 over, so I rationalize that way. Gotta lose that 10 before the Laser goes in though. I'll look like a dope in my wetsuit...

Mike,

Your diet also has alot to do with your wellbeing so combining a good diet with cardio and core strength will help tremendously for anyone.

Don't attempt any diet that cuts essentials like carbs or fats out of your diet, eat a balanced diet rich in omega 3's, essential amino acids, vitamins, and anti-oxidants, its a good idea to supplement omega 3 DHA. What you should cut out as much as possible is processed food, it costs more, tastes bad and has all kinds of junk additives.

You should eat wild caught fish about once a week such as salmon, trout, halibut, ect. These are easy to cook, taste great and are high in omega 3's and protein, Wild caught is important because farm raised fish have higher levels of mercury, toxins and they actually use dye to make the color look like wild caught fish. Try not to eat big fish too often like tuna, swordfish because they are high in mercury

Add colorful fruits and veggies to your diet, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries, bananas apples, spinach, sweet potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, eggplant...you'll get plenty of fiber from these type of foods, most people don't get enough fiber in their diet.

Eat an egg a day, eggs are packed with nutrients and protein and contrary to popular belief they do not raise your cholesterol.

add some nuts to your diet, peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, all good for you high in protein and good fats

eat whole grains, whole grain bread and pasta taste great and they're good for you, white flour is bleached and all the good stuff is removed, whole grains will leave you feeling full and in my opinion they taste much better.

Make an effort to get 30 mins of exercise each day, start your routine with an active warm up, you want the intensity to be about 60-80% (start out slow and gradually increase), you don't have to be sore to get a good workout, at the end of your workout and after sailing, stretch, you should also stretch when you wake up in the morning. Some good things for sailing are running, cycling, rowing, and free weights

Supplement protein after your workouts with whey and/or soy protein, you can add it to your food or make a shake, I like chocolate flavored whey protein, add some peanut butter with milk, soy milk or almond milk, some ice and blend, it tastes pretty good.

If you can follow this, you will gain muscle, lose fat, burn more calories, feel great, be happier and sail faster

Paxfish, you should market your book as a CliffnNotes brand. Just to substitute some of these items,with something healthier like Tea, will reduce the hunger pangs and keep you hydrated, your body fat will melt. Fitness and laser saiing strength is another topic. I have however, gained speed with some of the new laser videos available. I have found myself re-thinking my technique( its been all wrong).

Laserxd, you're suggesting many high calory foods.

Calories out > Calories in = Weight loss.

The trick is doing it in an appropriate time frame, basically meaning not too fast.

Given your age, I would skip the internet advice and seek the help of professionals.

Laserxd, you're suggesting many high calory foods.

Calories out > Calories in = Weight loss.

The trick is doing it in an appropriate time frame, basically meaning not too fast.

Given your age, I would skip the internet advice and seek the help of professionals.

Not all are high in calories, foods like nuts (170 calories/serving) aren't fully absorbed, other foods I listed like whole grains (175 calories/serving for pasta) have fiber which will make you feel full sooner, when fiber mixes with water it expands, it also slows the absorption of food and supplying the body with energy for a longer period of time rather than a quick spike from simple sugars. You will eat a significantly less amount of calories if you eat the foods I listed compared to eating processed and fast foods. If you eat around 2000 calories/day and combine that with excersise, you'll lose excess weight slowly but surely while still feeling good.

If you don't eat enough calories, a chemical called ghrelin builds up and once it does you will over eat. I see people that are overweight all the time skipping meals and not eating, yet they still don't lose weight or keep what little they lost off and this is one reason why. You especially shouldn't cut calories when you're racing cus it will get you off your game.

The same problem occurs when you eat artificial sweetener, your body tastes sugar and gets ready to process it, then when no calories show up, it leaves you craving those calories.

Eat right and excersise, its a long term solution

Definitely talk to professionals and get a physical from your doctor if you haven't had one recently, and ask for your blood pressure, resting heart rate, and cholesterol numbers

When it is important to get in shape as rapidly as possible, sailors have pretty much always used the same methods>>>

Here is a 6 decade old photograph. I believe these sailors were getting in shape to defend the free world..

Sailors.jpg

how about this, when i dont have time to get to the gym, i have to do a home laser workout. only equipment is some dumbbells, weight discs and a fitness ball.

here's what im thinking of doing tonight:

-30 min run (i live in a very hilly area)
-sit ups on ball
-lunges w/ dumbbells (20 reps x3 sets)
-plank (x3 2+min at a time)
-more sit ups on ball (this time with a weight disc)
-dumbell curls
-wall sit (not sure how long my goal will be)
-stretching / light yoga.
[alternates include leg lifts and fitness ball lifts]

comments? suggestions? and how can i strengthen my lower back without a reverse sit up bench?

how about this, when i dont have time to get to the gym, i have to do a home laser workout. only equipment is some dumbbells, weight discs and a fitness ball.

here's what im thinking of doing tonight:

-30 min run (i live in a very hilly area)
-sit ups on ball
-lunges w/ dumbbells (20 reps x3 sets)
-plank (x3 2+min at a time)
-more sit ups on ball (this time with a weight disc)
-dumbell curls
-wall sit (not sure how long my goal will be)
-stretching / light yoga.
[alternates include leg lifts and fitness ball lifts]

comments? suggestions? and how can i strengthen my lower back without a reverse sit up bench?

Lower back you can do by doing superman. Lay flat on the floor face down, and keeping your chest on the ground lift your legs and arms behind you, like you're flying. This works the lower back.

Also don't forget there is more to your upper body than your biceps, and more to your core than your upper abs.

I'd recommend at least adding some pushups, possibly triceps as well. Triceps can be done with dumbells by kneeling and bending forward and then lifting up. There should be a video out there somewhere if it isn't clear.

You should also do some leg lifts for the lower abs. Side curls also wouldn't hurt. Lay on your side with your lower arm flat on the floor. Try to lift your shoulder and butt off the floor basically.

Always remember to do large muscle groups first, then small. For example, do pushups before you do biceps, otherwise your tired biceps will limit your pushups, which limits other muscles.

Lower back you can do by doing superman. Lay flat on the floor face down, and keeping your chest on the ground lift your legs and arms behind you, like you're flying. This works the lower back.

Also don't forget there is more to your upper body than your biceps, and more to your core than your upper abs.

I'd recommend at least adding some pushups, possibly triceps as well. Triceps can be done with dumbells by kneeling and bending forward and then lifting up. There should be a video out there somewhere if it isn't clear.

You should also do some leg lifts for the lower abs. Side curls also wouldn't hurt. Lay on your side with your lower arm flat on the floor. Try to lift your shoulder and butt off the floor basically.

Always remember to do large muscle groups first, then small. For example, do pushups before you do biceps, otherwise your tired biceps will limit your pushups, which limits other muscles.

i will try the supermans, thanks.

i got the leg lifts in there. great for the lower abs. agreed re: additional upper body exercises, but w/ limited time for exercise i think the abs and legs stuff should take priority for the laser.

pushups are good to mix in and its easy to vary the hand postition to hit different parts of the muscles... shoulder and tris as well, but its not the priority at this point. I bench press at the gym. good to build upper body muscle not just for strength, but to put weight on the upper body = leverage while hiking

i will try the supermans, thanks.

i got the leg lifts in there. great for the lower abs. agreed re: additional upper body exercises, but w/ limited time for exercise i think the abs and legs stuff should take priority for the laser.

pushups are good to mix in and its easy to vary the hand postition to hit different parts of the muscles... shoulder and tris as well, but its not the priority at this point. I bench press at the gym. good to build upper body muscle not just for strength, but to put weight on the upper body = leverage while hiking

I mostly do the upper body work just for all around balance, plus ability to hold a mainsheet for long periods of time. Not to mention it comes in handy when sailing on keelboats, hauling sails around and such.

If you have access to a barbell and weight, you focus should be multi joint movements. Think deadlifts, full squats, bent over rows and overhead presses. Bench is a fine movement, but the risk of injury is relatively high and for all around strength/fitness, it is my opinion that things like strict presses and push presses are more useful.

All of these will also strengthen your entire core, though extra work can always be useful.

At the stage most people find themselves, I don't think direct tricep or bicep work is necessary, but if you feel you must, it should be done after your main movements.

Many people struggle with this, but less more. Do few movements, but make them count.

If you have access to a barbell and weight, you focus should be multi joint movements. Think deadlifts, full squats, bent over rows and overhead presses. Bench is a fine movement, but the risk of injury is relatively high and for all around strength/fitness, it is my opinion that things like strict presses and push presses are more useful.

All of these will also strengthen your entire core, though extra work can always be useful.

At the stage most people find themselves, I don't think direct tricep or bicep work is necessary, but if you feel you must, it should be done after your main movements.

Many people struggle with this, but less more. Do few movements, but make them count.

hmmm, well the gym at my yc and and at my homegym i have bars to bench press, stupid question for an obviously hard core weight lifter like yourself, but do i need some sort of padding or attachment on the bar to do squats?

hmmm, well the gym at my yc and and at my homegym i have bars to bench press, stupid question for an obviously hard core weight lifter like yourself, but do i need some sort of padding or attachment on the bar to do squats?

I'm not exactly "hard core"...

That being said, no, you shouldn't. I've never understood why people use that pad. The only thing it does it completely wreck what should be a solid connection between your body and the bar. There are guys that squat over 1000 lbs without such a pad.

The bar should be sitting either on your traps (high bar squat) or posterior/rear deltoids (low bar squat). In either case, you should have a tight upper back (think squeezing your shoulder blades together), which will provide the proper resting point at either spot. The only time you might have issues is if you actually don't have the muscle tissue there, but I'm not sure how little muscle there would have to be in either area for one of the two not to work.

Keep in mind that high bar and low bar squats are quite different.

I'm not exactly "hard core"...

That being said, no, you shouldn't. I've never understood why people use that pad. The only thing it does it completely wreck what should be a solid connection between your body and the bar. There are guys that squat over 1000 lbs without such a pad.

The bar should be sitting either on your traps (high bar squat) or posterior/rear deltoids (low bar squat). In either case, you should have a tight upper back (think squeezing your shoulder blades together), which will provide the proper resting point at either spot. The only time you might have issues is if you actually don't have the muscle tissue there, but I'm not sure how little muscle there would have to be in either area for one of the two not to work.

Keep in mind that high bar and low bar squats are quite different.

got it, thanks.

the workouts that youve described are certainly wonderful for overall fitness and strength of major muscle groups. ive looked at the crossfit methodology as well with some interest.

in terms of laser specific training, since hiking is a mainly trying to hold the same position for long periods of time, how does that influence a workout regime? im not saying that squats, etc shouldnt be included, but for someone with very limited time for training, how does a laser specific mindset influence a workout regime?

got it, thanks.

the workouts that youve described are certainly wonderful for overall fitness and strength of major muscle groups. ive looked at the crossfit methodology as well with some interest.

in terms of laser specific training, since hiking is a mainly trying to hold the same position for long periods of time, how does that influence a workout regime? im not saying that squats, etc shouldnt be included, but for someone with very limited time for training, how does a laser specific mindset influence a workout regime?

In my opinion (as always), I think you would just separate it.

You get stronger and more powerful in the gym. Plenty of people get stronger only lifting tow days a week. Who doesn't have a spare three hours each week?

Then, you get better at hiking by hiking often.

Strong is strong. How that is applied to your sport will be determined by your sport specific training.

That's just my take.

I am quite sure that if you alternated the Concept 2 program, with the U Iowa Rosenberg program on off days, you would realize benefits in the boat and also great overall fitness gains. It is low impact and features aerobics and strength.
Good luck.

I am quite sure that if you alternated the Concept 2 program, with the U Iowa Rosenberg program on off days, you would realize benefits in the boat and also great overall fitness gains. It is low impact and features aerobics and strength.
Good luck.

I wouldn't necessarily call six body weight exercises "strength" training.

Those exercises might be something to add on top of a program or on off days, but as your sole source of strength training?

Anyway, people will choose whatever path they will, I suppose.

I wish I could get back in a Laser these days just to make a comparison to when I was racing.

So...we started with a 64 year old and I truly believe that would suit them well.

In addition, I would believe that this program would improve many Masters that are trying to improve their game.

Peace Out...

A lot of whats been mentioned on here I never had the confidence to actually do - not keen on making a fool of myself in the free weights section of the gym surrounded by lots of men lifting far more than me!

What I have found that works for me is Les Mills Body Pump classes. You use a bar and hand weights and work all the key muscle groups. Its also taught me the technique for each exercise so I won't injure myself trying without supervision. I'm actually getting to the point with it now that I might try some things in the gym and not feel a fool. For those that haven't done weights its a good intro even if you only do it for a week or so to learn the safe lifting techniques.
In the classes you are doing fairly high reps so the weight is not quite so high as some would use. I am noticing a good improvement in my strength though and am slowly increasing the weights I use in the class. (I am also doing cardio stuff - cycling, spinning classes and combat classes mainly).

Back