Fall Sailing Gear

I know the question has been asked many times, i've done multiple searches and found mostly ideas suitable for frostbiting, not quite the conditions we've got here.

Here's the situation:

Drysuit zipper ripped out, so I have no drysuit to wear.

Air temps in the mid 50's, water temps probably low to mid 60's, wind will be about 5-15 mph and raining.

With those given weather variables and knowing I don't have a drysuit at my disposal right now what would the suggestion be?

*I am thinking of just wearing my hikers, rash guard, fleece top, dry top. I also have the dinghy salopettes to go along with dry top, would that be adequate?

I know the question has been asked many times, i've done multiple searches and found mostly ideas suitable for frostbiting, not quite the conditions we've got here.

Here's the situation:

Drysuit zipper ripped out, so I have no drysuit to wear.

Air temps in the mid 50's, water temps probably low to mid 60's, wind will be about 5-15 mph and raining.

With those given weather variables and knowing I don't have a drysuit at my disposal right now what would the suggestion be?

*I am thinking of just wearing my hikers, rash guard, fleece top, dry top. I also have the dinghy salopettes to go along with dry top, would that be adequate?

That sounds fine. If it is really raining then throw on the salopettes to keep the rain off your legs. I am planning to sail this weekend too in similar conditions. I will probably wear my hiking boots, neoprene hiking pants, my c-skins 1mm top, and a spray top. If it is really cold I might go with my farmer john wetsuit instead of the hiking pants.

What do you use for "long gloves"? The search results on the subject in TLF indicate the Atlas Gardening Gloves are good, any other suggestions? While we are on the subject - what about your feet? I have a drysuit and was going to have it retrofit to have full booties and then wear 2 layers of wool or thermo socks

What do you use for "long gloves"? The search results on the subject in TLF indicate the Atlas Gardening Gloves are good, any other suggestions? While we are on the subject - what about your feet? I have a drysuit and was going to have it retrofit to have full booties and then wear 2 layers of wool or thermo socks

You can get Goretex socks. You just wear a pair of nylon or polyester socks under them.

Hey,

If money is a concern. I have found that a paid of Dishwahing gloves under sailing golves is ok. It only really works if you tape up the gloves at your wrists or stick them in a neoprene cuff - just make sure that the water stays out. Plus you can get home fast and do the dishes :p

When it used to snow, my mum would put shopping bags in my hand me down winter boots with holes in them - you could try that as well :)

Hat is a absolute must, get one that is wool and not poly - wool will keep you warm even when it is wet. I have tried the Goretex socks, but I find that a think pair of wollies will still keep you warmer. Smartwool (tm) socks are great!

Off to the end of summer regatta - sunny, not much breeze :mad: and about 45 here.

Matt

PS - found the smiley thing on the side

Well for those of you looking at this and maybe still wondering what works, I can tell you this.

I wore:

3/4 length hikers, gill zip boots with smartwool socks, rash guard, fleece top, dry top, pfd, fleece/wool combo hat, gill neoprene cold weather gloves.

I was almost hot... I deathrolled twice (don't ask) so needless to say I was rather wet yet still very warm.

Well for those of you looking at this and maybe still wondering what works, I can tell you this.

I wore:

3/4 length hikers, gill zip boots with smartwool socks, rash guard, fleece top, dry top, pfd, fleece/wool combo hat, gill neoprene cold weather gloves.

I was almost hot... I deathrolled twice (don't ask) so needless to say I was rather wet yet still very warm.

Was the water temp still in the 60's? We are getting into the 50's here in Ohio.

No worries Georg... I can say with certainty that had the water been much colder I could have been in trouble. However that's when the drysuit comes out.

Now if I could just figure out that deathrolling thing...

for the long fingered gloves you can also use gardening gloves that are made of wool and for grip it has the same rubber as the Zhik 202 gloves you can find these at Harbor Freight if theres one near you for real cheap i got mine for $1, or you can go to any other store

Back