Buff Decker

What is the easiest way to fair or compound the bottom of a Catalina
> 14.2? *I previouly had scows (C and MC) and due to the flat shape of
> the hull you could flip them on the trailer bunks with a couple of
> friends. *What is the easiest way to get to the bottom of the 14.2
> hull?

FLip it

Hi,

I am a newbie to sailing and the Capri but I have been working on my inverted Capri for about 6 months now. I had to recoat all of the gel coat. I flipped it myself with two pair of eye screws screwed into the ceiling rafters in my garage. Two on each end and a pulley hooked to each one. I threaded a rope around the bottom of the boat and through each pulley and tied the front and rear ropes into a loop. A simplified description would be a loop around the boat at each end and two pulleys on each rope. I lifted each end and had my wife make the final knot to get it off of the trailer. I checked everything about 20 times, pulled the trailer out and rolled the boat over. I lifted her again and had my wife put padded saw horses under it. I am doing the finishing polishing this week and should be flipping her back over this weekend. If I remember, I'll snap a photo. This is how it looked a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 0421091933a.jpg
    0421091933a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the reply

Approximately how far apart were the sets of eye bolts? Or in other words, where did you grab the boat with the ropes? Was the fore rope in front of the splash shield or behind it?

Thanks again, Buff

Hi,

Maybe 9 feet. The photo may help. Ahead of the mast post for the front rope and about 2 feet from the stern.

Attachments

• 0620091740a.jpg
    0620091740a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 62
That boat looks great!! Really nice job. How much did it cost you to redo the gelcoat on it?

My boat is a pretty weathered and I've spent a few days scrubbing with every kind of cleaner I can think of and still can't get it as bright and white as I'd like.

Any reccomendtions on cleaning products to help with the capri?

Thanks

I have a drawer full of receipts and will add them up someday if I want to become depressed. It took 3 quarts of gel coat and several packs each of all of the sandpaper grits from 80 to 1500. I mostly used 220 for the rehabilitation sanding and the 20 pack was well worth it. Plus the rubbing compound and the 3M Finess it ($52) for a bottle, and the wax.

All of this polishing and shining has caused an unintended problem. When I finally lowered it onto the trailer, it kept sliding. I mean my wife could push it with one hand and it would slide from side to side or front to back. Now I have had to add extra ties to my too small trailer. I guess it is better that it sticking to the bunks.

Back